RMweb

GWR Branch - Castle Down. Mostly GWR with an odd SR working

sjrixon

• RMweb Gold

I've carved the bottom apart and built the steps. Felt like a lot of work for a couple of steps!

When you have instructions like, The 'toe stop' flange is folded with the half etch on the inside, you know it's going to be fun.

I'm not going to build the whole underside, looks like a lot of it will mess with the bogies and couplings. Some nice new V hangers, battery boxes and brake section should be good enough.

Edited by sjrixon

Hi Scott,

I too have used 2 of these kits - one on a Comet Hawksworth kit to make No. 231 and the other in its unadulterated form to do an Airfix job to create No. 190. It’s a good kit and looks really nice on finishing. If I can help at all, let me know! One thing I did do to make the second one easier was use a Comet chassis so the carving up of the old plastic version wasn’t needed.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Castle, I can understand why you used the comet chassis. I had the same issue when I did the underframe of the K40, it's tough old plastic and very tightly modeled together. It's the battery boxes that cause the real issue, you can't help but damage the struts.

Anyway.. Done now.

post-19113-0-28850500-1515915628_thumb.jpg

Time to fix it back up with plastic now. The centre strut on both sides was broken long ago, so I'm going to use some microstrip to give it all a little more strength. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Oh, that's nice.. Thanks the front end one is really handy, I can make out some of the pile of bits in the box there.

I think I've got 90% of the underframe done now. I'm going to stop here as I want to replace the front buffers before I finish all the pipes on the front end. The plan is then to start on the body next Saturday, as I've another few hours in the evening to do this. 

post-19113-0-19152000-1516006536_thumb.jpg

post-19113-0-75637500-1516006539_thumb.jpg

Thanks to Kevin and his under frame picture, I basically used that to copy to build mine. The instructions are not clear in places. Also, the pictures make me laugh when they say parts not shown for clarity, but then I can't work out where the bits go in relation to the missing bits! And then you need to hack part of it because the fret has been made wrong!

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 7

Oh, that's nice.. Thanks the front end one is really handy, I can make out some of the pile of bits in the box there.

I think I've got 90% of the underframe done now. I'm going to stop here as I want to replace the front buffers before I finish all the pipes on the front end. The plan is then to start on the body next Saturday, as I've another few hours in the evening to do this. 

attachicon.gifIMAG0132.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG0133.jpg

Thanks to Kevin and his under frame picture, I basically used that to copy to build mine. The instructions are not clear in places. Also, the pictures make me laugh when they say parts not shown for clarity, but then I can't work out where the bits go in relation to the missing bits! And then you need to hack part of it because the fret has been made wrong!

Progressing well....

Glad you found the pictures useful.

• RMweb Gold

Did battle again tonight! The once nice thing about the autocoach is how soft the plastic is. It was quite easy to lift the old handrails off.

Here is the rear, ready to go.

post-19113-0-44129800-1516487556_thumb.jpg

Then with lots of nice new shinny bits.

post-19113-0-94071600-1516487558_thumb.jpg

Then the front is also done. Horrid close up! 

post-19113-0-29650100-1516487561_thumb.jpg

Appear to have a few hand rails left on the fret.

post-19113-0-95277400-1516487565_thumb.jpg

That will do for tonight. Nearly ready to get a coat of primer on it.

What glazing has anyone used? I sent an email to Shawplan, but not heard anything. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Found the glazing, thanks.

Kevin, did you do anything to the pair of luggage doors?

And, looks like you moved the hand rails off the steps, I can't find anything about that?

Edited by sjrixon

Found the glazing, thanks.

Kevin, did you do anything to the pair of luggage doors?

And, looks like you moved the hand rails off the steps, I can't find anything about that?

All windows where glazed except for the top lights as I decided they looked better without.

Handrails moved to carriage sides as fixing to doors (in real life) would mean they couldn’t open plus they lined up better with the sides of the steps.

How’s your sanity and patience?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Kevin.. Just ordered the glazing with Brian online, so might be early next week. But that's not going to hold me up. Sanity isn't too bad, it's the patience of the instructions that is killing me. Just 0 clarity most of the time.

So.. Did you do anything to this door? The Luggage one.

post-19113-0-97452200-1516701260_thumb.jpg

If not, then I'm going to fill in the holes for the handrails and get the primer out!

Andy, many thanks. Glad to hear you are resting and keeping well.

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

With the autocoach build coming along nicely, I thought I'd get another odd job off the bench. Castle Down has been waiting a while for a wagon for it's fish traffic. This was an old build that I'd done and never finished, the steps on this parkside van are horrid! Very fragile, small parts and I'd made a mess of it! So a while back I'd remade them with new plastic and even some brass square section to make them more resilient to being a layout vehicle. Still needs the roof actually gluing on, some varnish and weathering, but it needed a test on the layout :)

The 48xx arrives with one coach on the midday local with one van attached. 

post-19113-0-86489300-1516787642_thumb.jpg

post-19113-0-75631500-1516787650_thumb.jpg

The first job is to shift the log load out of the way. The delivery van has already arrived with the first load from the coast.

post-19113-0-54593100-1516787664_thumb.jpg

Then the fish bloater can be moved off the rear of the train and into the loading dock.

post-19113-0-46384100-1516788492_thumb.jpg

Looks like a couple of crates are ready for loading. 

post-19113-0-89647800-1516788498_thumb.jpg

(Tweaked the last two pictures to a better res/iso)

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 11

Can't really say like, with those (small) problems, but have to say I'm following this with interest as I may feel the urge

to follow suit at some point, Provided finances allow, and I run out of excuses. Please keep up the good work.