I think that's exactly the route I'll be going down.  I keep meaning to do a couple of sketches of what I have in mind, but never quite seem to get around to it. 

44548116812_a49b10b9c6_b.jpg

Test fitting of all the roofs to check for clearance, after the walls had been clad. Once the last of the cills and lintels have been painted, I'll be torn between permanently fitting the roof or moving on to the walls for the down platform shelters.  I have ideas of how I would like to replace the slates, but at the same time I believe there's a method in the next (October) copy of Railway Modeller, so I might hold fire on that for the few days until publication. 

With that overhang on the gable ends, will you employ bargeboards?

Ornate ones!

There are bargeboards in the kit.  Very ornate ones.  But they're printed.... I think, after all the work on the walls and the windows and the roof, that to settle for those bargeboards would be to ruin the ship for want of ha'porth worth of tar.  Time I think to have a closer look at the few photos I've found of the Sheffield-centric examples of the type and see what they've got; the very decorative ones to be found in Cheshire are more a result of Midland influence than anything of the Sheffield company. 

• Like 3

Work tonight extended to painting the last cills and lintels, and gluing the roof in place. Then I started the process of re-slating, refining my previous technique... I've gone for thicker paper this time to get more of an individual slate effect. Thicker paper? Well, two sheets of paper laminates together... Onto the bargeboards. They need to be ornate. The ones in the kit appear to be based on those at Woodhouse station, near Sheffield. The bargeboards at Dinting are similar... The ones in the kit are I would argue too delicate to withstand having the apertures cut through, so a task for tomorrow night looks to be finding some laser-cut ornate bargeboards.

• Like 2

42902358020_1fb704bd60_b.jpg

Work progresses on the new roof slates.  My method is not a million miles removed from that described in the October Railway Modeller, except that I cut my slates with scissors rather than a shredder.  I reckon I've got slightly under half the roof done so far, but that figure includes most of the awkward bits. 

Onto the bargeboards. They need to be ornate. The ones in the kit appear to be based on those at Woodhouse station, near Sheffield. The bargeboards at Dinting are similar... The ones in the kit are I would argue too delicate to withstand having the apertures cut through, so a task for tomorrow night looks to be finding some laser-cut ornate bargeboards.

I may be able to help you there... If you're able to provide photos of what you're after, and maybe a scan of the kit parts so I know I've got the angles right, I could probably make you some up to suit?

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 1

I may be able to help you there... If you're able to provide photos of what you're after, and maybe a scan of the kit parts so I know I've got the angles right, I could probably make you some up to suit?

Oh, I say!- I should have thought of that!  I've just had some delivered from York Modelmaking.  I'll tell you what- if the ones I've already bought don't give me the result I have in mind, I'll be in touch.   

• Like 2

I bought some of their standard ornate bargeboards; I can't remember if it's number 5 or 6 on their list but they've got a very nice undulating effect.  They're cut from plastic which feels, at the moment, very waxy- a result of the laser cutting process perhaps?- I'll have to clean them before use I think.  I think I'll need to order another pack of it too- there's not quite enough to do the whole kit, possibly there's enough to do the main station block but not the shelter for the other platform. 

Progress report- I'll try to get some more photos tonight- all slates fitted, about 60% of them given their first coat of paint.  Initial conclusions are that a double laminate of paper works quite well for making the joints between slates obvious.  In one of my typical 'why didn't I think of this before' moments, it was only when I was starting to paint the slates and muttering dark curses about how the paper drinks the (fairly expensive) acrylic paints, that maybe I should invest in some grey paper for slating, tiling and general roof work. 

• Like 3

After the excitement, back to CfP's main block. 

42994744870_9ea4528e3c_b.jpg

All slates done and painted.  I used (I think it was) a coat of Humbrol #165 and then drybrushed a coat of Humbrol #67 over that, which got me a nice dark slate grey sort of a colour. Then I ran some glue'n'glaze along the joints where the roof faces meet, to seal the cardboard surface more than anything else really. 

42994749000_c64ac66100_b.jpg

Work then started on the chimney stacks.  You have to build these up as solid blocks of card.  I've faced them in embossed sheet in-situ; there are of course a few odd gaps here and there but once all of the stacks are in I'll be fitting a representation of the lead flashing which will cover this.  What I'm also planning to do of course is replicate the usual leaded valleys where the roofs meet, for which at the moment my plan is to use the supplied paper ridge tiles out of the kit.  They're the right colour, and they'd only go to waste otherwise.  Then I'll move on to consider the moulded plastic ridge tiles, guttering and chimney pots, and then this one is pretty much finished- the station awnings will be left until the baseboard is ready as otherwise it's just a very flimsy whitemetal and brass fixture looking for an opportunity to get broken off. 

And after that- I think I'll take a bit of a break from architectural modelling and crack on with some rolling stock, bits have been arriving for my Barnum rake and are in danger of going walkabout if I don't use them soon. 

• Like 1

After the excitement, back to CfP's main block. 

42994744870_9ea4528e3c_b.jpg

All slates done and painted.  I used (I think it was) a coat of Humbrol #165 and then drybrushed a coat of Humbrol #67 over that, which got me a nice dark slate grey sort of a colour. Then I ran some glue'n'glaze along the joints where the roof faces meet, to seal the cardboard surface more than anything else really. 

42994749000_c64ac66100_b.jpg

Work then started on the chimney stacks.  You have to build these up as solid blocks of card.  I've faced them in embossed sheet in-situ; there are of course a few odd gaps here and there but once all of the stacks are in I'll be fitting a representation of the lead flashing which will cover this.  What I'm also planning to do of course is replicate the usual leaded valleys where the roofs meet, for which at the moment my plan is to use the supplied paper ridge tiles out of the kit.  They're the right colour, and they'd only go to waste otherwise.  Then I'll move on to consider the moulded plastic ridge tiles, guttering and chimney pots, and then this one is pretty much finished- the station awnings will be left until the baseboard is ready as otherwise it's just a very flimsy whitemetal and brass fixture looking for an opportunity to get broken off. 

And after that- I think I'll take a bit of a break from architectural modelling and crack on with some rolling stock, bits have been arriving for my Barnum rake and are in danger of going walkabout if I don't use them soon. 

Yes, further and better particulars of your Barnum rake are called for!

Something for the Bachmann Improved director to pull. 

• Like 2

JCL's silhouette cutter files for the saloons (I've built one and planning another), your drawings for the brake Richard (I've tried to import them a few times but silhouette doesn't seem to like them... I'll have to see what's going on there), Bill Bedford etched bogies and JCL's 3D printed bogie sides and buffers. Oh, and an aluminium extruded roof! I built one several months ago but that used Hornby bogies and white metal buffers for a Mk.1. So I'll be putting the first one right and then looking at three more for a rake of two brakes and two saloons.

• Like 2

JCL's silhouette cutter files for the saloons (I've built one and planning another), your drawings for the brake Richard (I've tried to import them a few times but silhouette doesn't seem to like them... I'll have to see what's going on there), Bill Bedford etched bogies and JCL's 3D printed bogie sides and buffers. Oh, and an aluminium extruded roof! I built one several months ago but that used Hornby bogies and white metal buffers for a Mk.1. So I'll be putting the first one right and then looking at three more for a rake of two brakes and two saloons.

Sounds good. Whose roof have you found is a close fit?

Sorry the file is not opening of the brake. I think there is a “universal” file type I could try sending it as that. I also sent it to JCL so maybe he could convert it if I am not able to find out common file system.

I too will get his bogies to get mine running.

Richard

• Like 1

Dart Castings, LNER elliptical type. It's not a perfect match but it will give a neater finish than anything I can jury rig myself (see the paper/card/ timber mashups I've tried before). I can live with small discrepancies much better than I can live with messy-looking finishes.

Mostly because I wanted to say thanks, and agree. It does not allow me to express two emotions. How very British.

We're British, we're not supposed to do emotions at all. :D

RE: The brake drawings, I can open them as a PDF but not actually get them to open up in silhouette cutter, which is a little odd!  If you could send it as a universal file, a Studio file or even a jpg I should be able to work it round somehow (even if it means having a jpg and tracing over it).  Many thanks for the drawing in any case- the alternative is drawing it myself, which isn't a problem except it's also my day job- I don't do much in the way of silhouette cutting because after a day of drawing at work I don't want to come home and draw!

Right, so to hand I have

- one Barnum saloon built and waiting for new bogies/ buffers/ roof

- material for another Barnum saloon

- drawings for the Barnum brake

- four aluminium roofs

- four sets of etched bogies

- two sets of 3D printed bogie sides and buffers (I'll be ordering two more on payday)

But first!- finish CfP's main block.  The last of the chimney stacks were fitted last night, all brickwork is now done.  I've started on the roof valleys and the flashing, the material I was planning to use now that it is being applied actually looks far too thick, so I'll be thinning that down tonight (cotton buds, water and a sharp scalpel blade should solve the issue), if I get so far as finishing the roof valleys tonight I'll then looks at the flashing around the chimneys.  Then- over the weekend- I'll look at the ridge tiles, guttering and bargeboards, and maybe the chimney pots if I get that far. 

• Like 3

I've been looking back through my build log; it's taken me a month to get the building this far.  Last night, I managed to sort out the flashing around the roof and chimneys.  Around the chimneys I settled for paint, on the roof valleys I used the paper ridge tiles.  These are too wide really, so having painted them last night a task for today is to cut some more slates to cover them up a little bit (and of course get the flashing under the slates rather than the other way around!)

Then I will be fitting the Wills ridge tiles; I'm not sure I have enough of those but we'll see how we get on.  Then the chimney stack cappings and pots- more Wills items- and then the bargeboards, which need to be painted first and cleaned even before that.  I think I have enough run of bargeboard to at least do the block I'm working on. 

Guttering- I have a small stock of the Wills guttering.  It needs painting before fitting, again I think I have enough of it.  Much like the platform canopy, I'm going to leave off fitting the downpipes until the building is sitting on a baseboard, as they strike me as parts just looking for an opportunity to be knocked off, damaged and lost. 

So how long until it's finished, for a given value of?  Variable, depends how canny I am with my time.  I can be cleaning and preparing bits whilst waiting for glue and paint on other parts to dry out.  I'd be disappointed if if took longer than a week, on my usual timetable of an hour each evening in the week and a few hours each day at weekends. 

Then the Barnums, or at least one or two of them, and then that Foden steam wagon that arrived last week. 

• Like 2

Yesterday's work:  1. Extra slating (fitted and painted). 2. Ridge tiles (fitted, require painting).  3. Bargeboards (fitted and painted). 

Photos to follow after today's work, which I'm planning to comprise:

1. A balsawood base

2. Painting the ridge tiles

3. Cleaning up the bargeboards

4. Chimney tops and pots

We shall see!

• Like 2

I promised photos, so...

44839216382_e22ea0cd6b_b.jpg

44168901144_e426962853_b.jpg

44168899724_03b025ff63_b.jpg 

44839211952_c32af1db3a_b.jpg

Slates and ridge tiles- done.  Bargeboards- done.  Chimney pots- still need some work on them to get the terracotta look.  The plastic used in the Wills building sets seems to repel acrylic- so I'll have to start those over again with a coat of enamel and work up. 

Now that it is sitting on a base I can also review my decision of not building the canopy yet.  The canopy will now be built, possibly starting as soon as tonight....

Some better photos via my proper camera when it's all finished. 

• Like 1