Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

North London closure - UXB

Services on the North London line have been suspended between Willesden Junction and Camden Road due to the discovery of an unexploded WW2 bomb on a construction site near to Brondesbury Park station.  This means that passenger trains between Stratford and Richmond or Clapham Junction are terminating at Camden Road.

The North London line sees a lot of freight passing through (outside peak commuter times) and most freight trains are currently being diverted by Queens Park to avoid the closed section.

Residents were evacuated from a 200m "exclusion zone", later extended to 300m, being put up in temporary shelters overnight.

It is hoped that the bomb will be diffused by this afternoon.

Hope it doesn't go off could cause millions of pounds worth of improvements to the area!

I take it you have not been there of late.

My daughter has just bought a flat in one of the old villas just down the road in the Queen's Park direction.

All gone very up market these days.

She is outside the clear zone but had to make a diversion to get to work near Wembley this morning.

The heavy rain has caused some further problems according to the latest local reports.

Bernard

BL is right about the progressive "upmarketing" of the area.

About two years ago, I had cause to be at Queens Park at lunchtime, and set off down the street, thinking that I might encounter a "caff" ....... well, in the twenty years since I had previously lunched in the area, it had changed more than a bit!

Artisanal bakeries; chic middle-eastern cafes; the sort of shops that sell things that nobody really, actually, honestly, needs; estate agents (many) ......

I had a jolly good Greek lunch, since you ask.

K

• RMweb Gold

BL is right about the progressive "upmarketing" of the area.

About two years ago, I had cause to be at Queens Park at lunchtime, and set off down the street, thinking that I might encounter a "caff" ....... well, in the twenty years since I had previously lunched in the area, it had changed more than a bit!

Artisanal bakeries; chic middle-eastern cafes; the sort of shops that sell things that nobody really, actually, honestly, needs; estate agents (many) ......

I had a jolly good Greek lunch, since you ask.

K

Last time I went in a 'Caff' round there the owner thought I was the Revenue in disguise when I asked for a receipt to put on my expenses. Don't think I could ever have persuaded him that the orange gear was genuine. He didn't get on the list of recommended eateries in my next commissioning programme.

Archived