Please, can anyone help me by laser cutting (or etching) this for me?

Hello

Can you help me please, I am looking for someone to laser cut me a very specific thing for my HO Chinese layout.

I assume that laser cutting is the way to go, but I'm open to other options.

It's very specific to my layout but I will need several copies as I guess it will be VERY fragile and easily broken (even in fitting)

I'm looking for a decorative arch to go over an alleyway between two buildings ..... something like this although I realise that it would need to be simplified and I only need the arch not the uprights

post-4476-0-36395900-1488810056_thumb.jpg

The delicacy of the metalwork on the arch would point to etching being a better technique. 

Thank you for that ....yes, I guessed that might be the case.

I guess there is one problem with any process .... there are, in effect, three layers

1. Base layer - arch including the dragons

2. The square  backing of the characters

3. The edging of the squares and the characters themselves

I have no skills that could ever create such a thing but I am posting in the hope that someone on RMweb might.

Paul

Hi Paul,

difficult to be really precise (more photos and ideally a scale drawing needed) but the arch and dragons could be produced as one "piece" and the "shields" with surround and lettering as separate items by half etching to create the detail.

Not too difficult to create the artwork design with sufficient "prototype" scale detail. However, for a one off you would need to find someone to take on etching a "small" item, probably PPD would do it;

http://www.ppdltd.com/

Perhaps one of the custom etch parts producers such as Narrow Planet or Steam and Things (in Austraila) could design and produce.

Jol

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Paul

The first thing you need is a drawing showing, as an absolute minimum, the principal dimensions of the arch and it's key components.The next thing you need to take into account is the minimum width of the detail you want to reproduce. In 12thou brass the minimum width of a line is 0.3mm which will limit the amount of detail you can incorporate. Creating an etch for what you want isn't particularly difficult, but the cost for a tool plus the first etch will be about £50 to £60 in total if you use PPD. You will also need to cost in something for the person doing the drawing for you. Even a fairly simple design such as this will take 3 or 4 hours to draw up.

Ian 

Archived