Decoder Stay Alive

Zorcan

I am keen to fit stay-alive devices to my locos where possible.

I have some decoders that support this function - I made a stay alive device from a single 16volt 0.1 Farad capacitor as follows:

1. I wired the negative terminal to the dedicated stay-alive decoder negative feed.
  2. I put a 100 ohm resistor between the positive terminal and the positive stay-alive lead to limit the in-rush current when the capacitor is charging
  3. I put a reverse diode across this so that the full load of the motor is met by the capacitor when DCC decoder feed is interrupted.

I understand this to be the accepted circuit.

I could see no improvement at all in running.

The only difference I noticed was when switching off the DCC feed - the loco would stop then give a violent jerk about a second or so later.

What am I doing wrong?

Would help to know exactly which decoders, and probably exactly which terminals you connected to on those decoders. 

The obvious issue might be whether you disabled DC running in CV29 - DC running and Stay-Alive is generally incompatible. 

Its possible that your capacitor cannot discharge fast enough (there are a few devices around which have huge storage, but are designed to trickle out power to keep a very low power circuit running for ages).   But that depends on the capacitor(s) you have selected.

I assume you're confident about your track voltage on 16v rated capacitors, if not, some voltage protection over the capacitor is required in the form of a 16v Zener diode.

If you have 0.1F at 16v rated, wired correctly, capable of delivering proper currents, then you should see significant run times without DCC power.  

- Nigel

Would help to know exactly which decoders, and probably exactly which terminals you connected to on those decoders. 

The obvious issue might be whether you disabled DC running in CV29 - DC running and Stay-Alive is generally incompatible. 

Its possible that your capacitor cannot discharge fast enough (there are a few devices around which have huge storage, but are designed to trickle out power to keep a very low power circuit running for ages).   But that depends on the capacitor(s) you have selected.

I assume you're confident about your track voltage on 16v rated capacitors, if not, some voltage protection over the capacitor is required in the form of a 16v Zener diode.

If you have 0.1F at 16v rated, wired correctly, capable of delivering proper currents, then you should see significant run times without DCC power.  

- Nigel

Thanks Nigel - I was wondering if the capacitor I used had a fast enough discharge rate.

I used an Lais decoder which has dedicated stay-alive leads. I measured the voltage across them before fitting a capacitor - it was a shade over 14.

I didn't know about the DC running issue - I will try again!! :senile:

Archived