Never ending or beginning on an ever spinning reel
As the images unwind, like the circles that you find
In the windmills of your mind!

last four lines from the song "Windmills of Your Mind"

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Nick C said:

I have just been reading a bit about windmills. It turns out that there were quire a few around here, including a number of 'Wind Engines' along the stations of the Basingstoke and Alton Light Railway - presumably as water pumps

These mills were designed by John Wallis Titt and erected by his Woodcock Iron Works. Which I'm sure will set the average 11 year old schoolboy into a fit of giggles...

And this 66-year-old ex-schoolboy.

• Like 3
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

And this 66-year-old ex-schoolboy.

We play trains so I guessing there’s a little of the 11 year old schoolboy in all of us still. Thank god. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

You sure you want to enlarge the potato field?

At the rate crates are unloaded and shed doors are rehung in Little Muddle, I would not be confident that a field so large would be harvested this side of Armageddon.

• Funny 8

12 minutes ago, nigel newling said:

A windmill has to be able to turn into the wind. That requires a track, concentric with the axis of the mill, as part of the mill footprint, rather like the track around a manually operated turntable. You may be a little pushed for space.

Agree

I will be slightly pushing the envelope here but my plan is that the windmill is no longer in use so the area has become overgrown.

As I am basing this on a picture I have of the windmill in 1925 where you can see a different type of roundhouse that allows the top to rotate. The current design was built in the 60’s when the top was strengthen with steel columns fixing the top solid.

This windmill was of a sunken post type with exposed cross trees and quarter bars, these are now concealed within the roundhouse, which allowed the top to rotate 360.

There will be a circular area around the building where the wheeled arm would have moved in the past.
It will be tight but then on any layout we never really have enough room and we have to compromise.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, KNP said:

Agree

I will be slightly pushing the envelope here but my plan is that the windmill is no longer in use so the area has become overgrown.

As I am basing this on a picture I have of the windmill in 1925 where you can see a different type of roundhouse that allows the top to rotate. The current design was built in the 60’s when the top was strengthen with steel columns fixing the top solid.

This windmill was of a sunken post type with exposed cross trees and quarter bars, these are now concealed within the roundhouse, which allowed the top to rotate 360.

There will be a circular area around the building where the wheeled arm would have moved in the past.
It will be tight but then on any layout we never really have enough room and we have to compromise.

The windmill will inevitably be a fairly large structure. You could make it to a slightly smaller scale, which would a) reduce the impact on the scene as a whole; and b) make the "tail wheel circle" (I'm sure it has a proper name) smaller too.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

One of the reasons I shared pictures of Woodhouse Eaves windmill as a project I fancy building is that it has a small footprint and the sails are turned into the wind  manually via a ring gear on top of the tower.

Unlike the old Airfix/Dapol one the roof of the stone tower is actually a timber skirt that rotates with the mill body. 

The base of the tower was only about twenty feet in diameter.

84d41a5b26d365015900619.jpg.63bc7b00e230dd7a2e5bf3511f4ad529.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Picture
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I would love to have a go at building a windmill such as this. I took a number of photos of the double overshot watermill at Dunster. Something else brewing in the background me thinks.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Kevin,

Are you going to do Pippin Fort as well??

Camberwick Green was a blast from the past. When I first watched it I guess I didn’t notice Windy Miller’s dipsomania or his complete disregard for the sails which nearly took him out every time he walked into the mill…..😆

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

Are we to assume that you might be incorporating a Dapol (ex Airfix) Windmill kit? - It isn't quite Brill, but it is similar and a good basis.

Regards

Chris H

I plan to scratch build as much as possible.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

Kevin

Please be sure to consider possible problems with scenery access and of reaching over the layout to re-rail wagons or locos. 

Using the full space where the control panel was may be a problem with access to the turnouts behind it.  I would also consider putting the windmill on the other side of the tracks if possible.  It would definitely be a sleeve snagger.  

Best.

Edited by autocoach
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2