Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Little Muddle

KNP

3 hours ago, KNP said:

Using some of this

84A8C0E6-62AA-4826-B7EC-08C5A37FE012.jpeg.28656c9c50e195e73038cc89ec3f3d04.jpeg

We get……

That looks interesting and much more convincing than a lot of commercial items.

Can you tell me what you used for the flower heads there? I have a similar challenge in recreating this on my layout.

1768406987_C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_SavedImages_imagesPFLC2XHM.jpg.a49880d7493b6ea16d9bf4b32d0d2c9a.jpg

Shropshire railways.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Can you tell me what you used for the flower heads there? I have a similar challenge in recreating this on my layout.

1768406987_C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_SavedImages_imagesPFLC2XHM.jpg.a49880d7493b6ea16d9bf4b32d0d2c9a.jpg

Shropshire railways.

Thanks

I will take a picture of all the flower strips I used later today.....just a lot of cutting with scissors and building up in layers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, MrWolf said:

48 minutes ago, KNP said:

... MiniNatur flower strips ( I even use the middle bits as these make good small shrubs)

Pack of red scatter sold as flowers

Yellow stalks (I’ve had these for years and have no idea where I got them from, I also have a pack of green - still no idea)

My guess for the red scatter above is it's part of the Noch 07170 'Bluten-Flora' fourpack. Unfortunately it looks like this has been discontinued but you might be able to find stock somewhere. https://www.eurorailhobbies.com/Noch/NO-07170 has a picture of it. (I used to sell flower scatters at exhibitions but don't have any left of this pack). 

Possible alternatives are GreenScene's flower and blossom fourpacks, also Busch do roses kits which give you the flower heads as well as the stems/leaves. For a climbing rose, I'd do the same as Kevin and use the Mininatur materials, either the 'flower' strips or their ivy/climbing foliage for the green bits. (Sorry, no photos to hand of how these turned out but I thought it looked good). 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

9 hours ago, KNP said:

All the flowers made from these.

AAE466E2-BB6A-4CC4-87AB-41CE48EB71D0.jpeg.8eb6a54fb1520d2ef62b8543cefbfe57.jpeg

MiniNatur flower strips ( I even use the middle bits as these make good small shrubs)

Pack of red scatter sold as flowers

Yellow stalks (I’ve had these for years and have no idea where I got them from, I also have a pack of green - still no idea)

Thanks for the information Kevin, I've found a UK supplier of the MiniNatur flower strips and bought plenty for the job.

So I'm rapidly running out of excuses!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

31 minutes ago, aardvark said:

No such thing: https://www.cantmakeit.life/mobile.html

(excuse generator)

Very handy, but I couldn't find "My girlfriend has accidentally set off a small thermonuclear explosion".

Which might come in useful....

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A long time ago, I had a small book called "The Bad Liar's Handbook", or some such. On the right hand page was a list of excuses for a given circumstance, and on the left, a grid where you could fill in which excuse you gave to which person and on what date.

The book has been lost amongst many house moves, but I do recall a scant few:

• For being in an intoxicated state:
    • I'm allergic to pineapple juice.
  • For arriving late:
    • I had to dig my mother-in-law out of a snow drift.
    • I had to dig my mother-in-law into a snow drift.
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, KNP said:

What piece of timber did I need?

That timber store is amazing, as are the ne cottage and outbuildings.  I can only bring to mind one other model railway with that quality of scenic and architectural detail, and that's Pendon.  You are the Roye England de nos jours.

• Like 4
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, aardvark said:

A long time ago, I had a small book called "The Bad Liar's Handbook", or some such. On the right hand page was a list of excuses for a given circumstance, and on the left, a grid where you could fill in which excuse you gave to which person and on what date.

The book has been lost amongst many house moves, but I do recall a scant few:

• For being in an intoxicated state:
    • I'm allergic to pineapple juice.
  • For arriving late:
    • I had to dig my mother-in-law out of a snow drift.
    • I had to dig my mother-in-law into a snow drift.

I once got rather too intoxicated during an evening of drinking gin and bitter lemon (the pub was out of tonic water😮).   I haven't touched so much as drop of bitter lemon since then.

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

53 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I once got rather too intoxicated during an evening of drinking gin and bitter lemon (the pub was out of tonic water😮).   I haven't touched so much as drop of bitter lemon since then.

Avoid, there's way too much sugar in bitter lemon for it to do you any good.

There's some rather nice gins out there though!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Yes, but where can I buy decent salted peanuts to go with my G&T?

Serious question.  The last time I had good salted peanuts was over a decade ago!

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

38 minutes ago, teaky said:

Yes, but where can I buy decent salted peanuts to go with my G&T?

Serious question.  The last time I had good salted peanuts was over a decade ago!

What? You mean that you don't like peanuts that appear to be made from candle wax?*

*That's the memsahibs culinary judgement  and reason for hating / never eating the things, but she's too young to know that they used to be tasty. Same goes for dry roasted.

I don't know if she's ever tried eating candle wax, or its just what she imagines it tastes like, based on the texture. 

Frankly, I daren't ask....

• Like 5
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, teaky said:

Yes, but where can I buy decent salted peanuts

What's wrong with Nobby's Nuts?  I love 'em.  But I'd agree that all - and I mean all - other brands are sh*te. Usual disclaimer!

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Avoid, there's way too much sugar in bitter lemon for it to do you any good.

When I were a lad I worked out that the most economical way to impress a young lady was to serve crap gin with decent tonic (Schhh...) rather than Gordon's with supermarket tonic.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4