"No Dad a waste of money"

"You should the roof might be falling in"

"It is Dad"

Don

• Like 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, KNP said:

And all my Collett coaches in a line, they seem to be following that Castle?

That's a relief. Nothing worse than coaches that try to go their own way! That's why slip coaches were discontinued more than 60 years ago, obviously. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, KNP said:

And all my Collett coaches in a line, they seem to be following that Castle? 

When it comes to moving railway coaches, I'm very much in favour of them playing follow my leader. When they start going their own way, that's when I start worrying ... and running for cover!  

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, KNP said:

The white curved bars are called horses and the clew (corner) of the sail is attached to them so you can the move the sail to attack the angle of the wind which is why a barge can sail so close to the wind.

Getting close to stepping masts and doing the fun bit - rigging…..

then I ran into a problem with the mizzen mast case

I understood that one of the benefits of the horses was that the vessel could be tacked without having to hand either the foresheet or the mainsheet.

These vessels were famous for being able to be sailed by two men and a boy (and/or dog!)

Does your kit provide for the crab winches (for the leeboards) and the brail winch?

It's a long time now since I made a model of a sailing barge. The book on my shelves (Modelling Thames Sailing Barges by E C Freeston and B Kent) shows a different arrangement for the mizzen mast case. It is mounted higher so that the steering shaft passes through near the base with the mast heel above it.

Edited by drmditch
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, drmditch said:

I understood that one of the benefits of the horses was that the vessel could be tacked without having to hand either the foresheet or the mainsheet.

These vessels were famous for being able to be sailed by two men and a boy (and/or dog!)

Does your kit provide for the crab winches (for the leeboards) and the brail winch?

It's a long time now since I made a model of a sailing barge. The book on my shelves (Modelling Thames Sailing Barges by E C Freeston and B Kent) shows a different arrangement for the mizzen mast case. It is mounted higher so that the steering shaft passes through near the base with the mast heel above it.

There are winch’s but no leeboard ones, I’m going to have to build those.

The kit is a little bit basic I have to say.

The drawings and pictures I have show the mizzen case fitted with a scarfed in collar they fits inside the case holding the mast just clear of the shaft. This then hinges so the mast can be lowered.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Not that I know anything about Thames barges or indeed anything much marine but how exactly does that rudder mechanism work?  It looks as though there is a horizontal beam like a tiller attached to the rudder but that is enclosed in a structure.  Won't the structure restrict the movement of the rudder?

Interesting bit of modelling as usual.

Cheers

Dave

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

10 hours ago, eldavo said:

Not that I know anything about Thames barges or indeed anything much marine but how exactly does that rudder mechanism work?  It looks as though there is a horizontal beam like a tiller attached to the rudder but that is enclosed in a structure.  Won't the structure restrict the movement of the rudder?

Interesting bit of modelling as usual.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks

To be honest about the rudder mechanism I can't recall other than it involved a lot of cogs and a worm screw.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, KNP said:

And now into the realms of fantasy I take you....

Into far off mists we go...

A rumbling in the distance can be heard

and then a 

whoosh........ past goes a red devil

Like a demented thing.....like a phoenix

Just like a scene from a movie

5216.jpg.d6bc23dcd5ee63f09aefdf2abb5571fb.jpg

5217.jpg.885d020701f252d67aab180b89cd2ac5.jpg

5218.jpg.463be3a7114ca8fc6377b74700c90761.jpg

5219.jpg.44ce1debb1464142732dc717438922e6.jpg

Not my loco set but belonging to my sons girlfriend who allowed me to unpack it from the original box and wrapping to photograph on here

Back to normal tomorrow!! (what ever that is....!)

The first photo, with the train emerging from the tunnel, and the slight misting round the edges looks particularly appropriate for the subject!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1