Elgin - old GNoSR yard

Joe MCMLXI

I'm doing my annual trip up to the Walkers Shortbread factories with work and noticed since my last visit, quite a few changes to the area around the sidings.

Are there some alterations about to take place? Seemed like the yard had been cleared or tidied up

In the sidings were two Cl66's top and tailing some freight wagons, are they there for local work?

Some cast iron step sections of the old Elgin station footbridge can be seen, will the footbridge end up at a heritage railway?

thanks in advance

joe

• RMweb Premium

It would be interesting to see recent photos of this area, I was last there several years ago. Is the old signal box, parts of the GNS platform & canopies stil there? The station building was in good repair & used as business offices.

Dava

Guest eddie reffin

The yard is being used as a base by BAM for the building of the new Forres station. A good number of engineers trains have been in and out recently. Line is shut between Inverness and Elgin this weekend for another set of points to be installed I believe.

HTH

Eddie

Signalbox (old Elgin Centre 'box) still there...just, minus it's steps. Footbridge from Highland Station was replaced by a massive new structure with lifts etc, last year. Not sure where the old footbridge is destined for, the project at Grantown East has been mentioned. The old GNoS footbridge (ex Longmorn) at Aviemore Speyside would be more suitable for that of course.

Archived