New Basford Station and Goods Yard Help Please

Hello,

I am planning a long term project to supersede my somewhat basic GCR minories style layout (Birmingham Hope St).

The location I have selected is New Basford Station on the GCR.

I think this will provide a nice scenic location where full length main line trains can run.

I may have to make some changes to the plan and imagine that maybe there is a bridge at the far end (away from the tunnel cutting end) so that I can keep the length manageable.

The layout would be 240 cm with two cassettes at each end. It will need to be portable and easy to store away so I am planning light boards and features for storage.

I have found this excellent site-

http://www.railwayarchive.org.uk/map/planBookSection.php?planNo=5&row=4&col=5

And wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

New Basford is a nice idea. Problem is that to model it realistically, you need a very long space. 240cm seems very modest for such a station in 4mm scale. After allowing for the pointwork, your goods sidings and platforms will be incredibly short. It might be better to compress one of the stations where the platform and goods yard overlapped to some greater degree.

Just a suggestion.

Yeah, that's a very good point, do you know how long roughly it would be to say model from the tunnel to the north tip of the platform in oo?

I do like the GCR :)

It will be BR steam/diesel 1965ish

My other idea is to only model half the station but have a GCR overbridge rather than an underbridge.

The max space would be 3x 122cm portable base boards, which would give 366cm of scenic space?

• RMweb Premium

You could always compress the area that you want to model to something more manageable.

Just using RTL points and crossings will shorten the overall length even without cutting the lengths of sidings, loops, etc.

Regards

Ian

Deffo, I will have to do that. I think I may have hit a good idea with Culworth station. It's on a curve and has (had) a magnificent 3 span arch bridge at one end with a typical GCR overbridge station at the other end. This would allow me to have a l shaped layout with a fiddleyard at either end. I'll post a sketch tomorrow but I think with 3-4 metres for the station it should be doable?

Link to disused stations:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/culworth/

My home station :yes: . I'm sorry but as you seem to have already realised you really need about 30 feet to do it some kind of justice from the tunnel mouth to Perry Road bridge. The goods shed at New Basford was a good bit bigger than most other GCR goods sheds as well. The trains would be similar to those seen on the Leicester South layout unless you're going to run them as they were after the London Midland region vandalised the line? Even then some of the colliery trips loaded quite well and there's always the York-Bournemouth which loaded to around 10-11 coaches. New Basford itself closing in 1964.

This bit of video gives some idea of the trains involved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9pY7CUOmLU

There used to some shot at New Basford on Youtube, it may still be there if you search for it

If you want to be semi-prototypical then I would suggest a station north of Rugby would work best - say Ashby Magna or Rothley. Rugby to Nottingham services (via these two stations) were the last to go. Also, Culworth is south of the Banbury line, so you would miss the Bournemouth-Newcastle expresses and some goods services. Ashby Magna was best for stopping services as the London semi-fasts stopped there. Had services stayed running, this wight well have stayed open too, whereas Rothley and Culworth were never very busy and likely would have closed anyway.

Great footage that... I think I may have to look at Ashby Magna again. I do like Culworth in terms of shape but like you say it does seem very rural. What I may end up doing is taking bits and trying to stay prototypical but... I only have 4-5 metres for the scenic space...

Those green coaches- were they the Bournemouth train or a football special?

Great footage that... I think I may have to look at Ashby Magna again. I do like Culworth in terms of shape but like you say it does seem very rural. What I may end up doing is taking bits and trying to stay prototypical but... I only have 4-5 metres for the scenic space...

Those green coaches- were they the Bournemouth train or a football special?

Possibly the Bournemouth but on summer saturdays all sorts turned up, there were several inter-regional trains which only ran on saturday and had a set of coaches allocated from each end, so the coaches worked one way the first saturday and returned the next. Not really all that efficient.

Archived