Instructions for David Geen Kit M6 L&Y Dia 16 Open Wagon

Please could someone oblige me with a scan or a photo of the instructions for one of these - assuming there were any? I'm having trouble sorting out which bit is which among the brake gear components and quite how they go together.

cheers, Jim C

There are no diagrams in the instructions (unless they've changed in the last 5 years),with only a rough photocopy of the two photos in LY Wagons .

If it's any help, both brake levers are at the same end, the rhs lever on the same side as the brakes with a cross-shaft to the left facing lever, but the wagon is packed away at the moment, so I'm unable to check .

There are no diagrams in the instructions (unless they've changed in the last 5 years),with only a rough photocopy of the two photos in LY Wagons .

If it's any help, both brake levers are at the same end, the rhs lever on the same side as the brakes with a cross-shaft to the left facing lever, but the wagon is packed away at the moment, so I'm unable to check .

Ah, that explains why I couldn't find the instructions!  

I don't quite understand your help I'm afraid.

The bits I've got are as per attachment.

post-9945-0-71083500-1490100582_thumb.jpg

I think it must have a single brake shoe each side, otherwise the mouldings don't make sense to me.

A is the LH brake side lever, 

B is a brake shoe for that side

Is C a V hanger to go outside the solebar that side?

From C I'm guessing there's a shaft across the wagon to the V hanger F

This shaft rotates anti clockwise for brake on from this view

G is the brake lever for the RHS. It will turn a shaft clockwise for on

E is a brake shoe for this side. It needs to go on a shaft that rotates clockwise for on

F is clearly the hanger for the clutch, and goes on the outside with A

OK, thus far it seems to make sense. But then my head starts hurting.

Firstly, where does V hanger D go? It seems to be the right height for a shaft across the wagon from C.

Secondly what is all the complication of hanger F all about.

I've found drawings of a dual RHS brake on L&Y wagons that show a Morton like clutch which appears very similar, but a Morton clutch reverses the direction the shaft is turning, and that doesn't seem to work where both levers are the same end.

Thirdly does brake E go on the shaft across the wagon, or is it on a shaft connected to G?

Fourthly why two pieces of wire (for cross wagon shafts?) of different sizes?

thanks for taking  look, Jim C

Heres a picture of my Gauge 3 D3 van.

post-21863-0-59742600-1490115938_thumb.jpg

This is how the brakes were arranged on early L&Y wagons.

So by your lettering, it goes ABCDEG

That odd looking v hanger was the L&Ys answer to the RCH ruling that brake levers should be on the right hand side only. The new v hanger allowed a cam to be added. David usually supplies two right hand levers and one left hand lever, for this reason.

As you appear to have only the same end brake levers, you can toss part F into the spares box.

The extra wire probably was tossed in by accident. He supplies wire for handrails which go on the van kits.

Free wire, so whos complaining.

As you appear to have only the same end brake levers, you can toss part F into the spares box.

Ah, thank you, that makes sense. If I have one V hanger too many all is clear. I either use C and F, for a RH both sides brake, in which case I need to source another RHS lever, or I use C and D, and have both levers at one end. For my period I'm going to need the other lever I think, but at least I know where I am. 

Nothing like ending up with parts left over to provoke some existential panic...

Ah, thank you, that makes sense. If I have one V hanger too many all is clear. I either use C and F, for a RH both sides brake, in which case I need to source another RHS lever, or I use C and D, and have both levers at one end. For my period I'm going to need the other lever I think, but at least I know where I am. 

Nothing like ending up with parts left over to provoke some existential panic...

What era are you modelling? I doubt they would have been changed quickly due to being freight stock. I have a photo of a D3 van with the old style brakes around early grouping.

Please could someone oblige me with a scan or a photo of the instructions for one of these - assuming there were any? I'm having trouble sorting out which bit is which among the brake gear components and quite how they go together.

cheers, Jim C

hi there, don't know if you have solved this yet, but attached is a copy of the instructions from his Dia 73 Covered Goods Van showing the double vee brake arrangement.

post-5687-0-10568800-1490368088_thumb.jpg

hope it is of some use

regards

Russ M

hi there, don't know if you have solved this yet, but attached is a copy of the instructions from his Dia 73 Covered Goods Van showing the double vee brake arrangement.

attachicon.gifdavid geen.jpg

hope it is of some use

regards

Russ M

This is good to have on record, but not applicable to D16, according to the LYRS facsimile of the L&Y diagram-book. The dual-V-hanger form of brakes didn't come into use until c.1904. Spitfire's post explains how the D16 would be, with the different forms of Morton clutch in the early and later grouping periods.

hope it is of some use

Thanks fot that, yes it is useful, cos although my brakes are rather different it gives a good insight into how the rest should be assembled.

So yes, thanks all contributors, think im pretty good now.

Archived