C&L vs ExactoScale plastic chairs

• RMweb Gold

I have a feeling this was discussed on the previous forum but I couldn't find it when I searched.

I am about to order all the components I need to build the turnouts on my new layout.

I will be constructing these from plastic chairs & timbers.

As exactoscale don't do plastic timbering I have settled on c&l thin timbering (to match the smp plain track).

But does anyone have any comments on the relative merits of c&l vs exactoscale chairs?

I'm leaning towards exactoscale at the moment because (surprisingly) they are quite a bit cheaper.

Will exactoscale chairs work with c&l BH rail? (I'm hoping so because exactoscale won't supply lengths of their rail via mail order)

Cheers.biggrin.gif

Both were designed by the same person just 20 years apart (the Exactoscale ones being newer). Note both are quite high next to the rail so you may find some flanges a little bumpy on it compared to SMP which has underscale chairs.

The latest S1 chairs I have from Exactoscale do have a bit of flash on the jaws of one side making fitting to the rail on one side of the line a bit more difficult than those with keys facing the other way. I do still think they are better than the older C+L components though. Cheaper is a bonus..

Intercity models or MSE may sell Exactoscale rail to order by the way as they do sell some of the other components from Exactoscale. Their rail is very good compared to the S4 Society stuff I have, I think it should work with C+L rail though.

• RMweb Gold

Both were designed by the same person just 20 years apart (the Exactoscale ones being newer). Note both are quite high next to the rail so you may find some flanges a little bumpy on it compared to SMP which has underscale chairs.

The latest S1 chairs I have from Exactoscale do have a bit of flash on the jaws of one side making fitting to the rail on one side of the line a bit more difficult than those with keys facing the other way. I do still think they are better than the older C+L components though. Cheaper is a bonus..

Intercity models or MSE may sell Exactoscale rail to order by the way as they do sell some of the other components from Exactoscale. Their rail is very good compared to the S4 Society stuff I have, I think it should work with C+L rail though.

Thanks for the info.

I was aware of the possible chair / flange issue. Hopefully most, if not all, of my stock should be ok.

Unfortunately I don't know of any other option if you want chaired pointwork.

Cheers.

• RMweb Premium

I could be wrong, but isn't there a difference in the moulding of the chairs for how they locate on the sleepers? I thought for straight track at least that the Exactoscale chairs had a 'pip' on the underside for locating them in a 'dip' on the sleeper? I don't think that's the case for the point timbering though as I'm not that familiar with Exactoscale products I could be wrong.

Guest jim s-w

Hiya

I prefer exactoscale componets but I use C&L rail. Exactoscale do plastic point timbering although its not thin.

HTH

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rod and Les.

I think you have just swung the balance back in favour of c&l (at least for the standard chairs).

Looks like I shall end up getting a combination from both campssmile.gif

• RMweb Gold

Thats ok, I shall only be mixing different types of chair on pointwork.

I would be very surprised if, for example, a exactocale L1 chair had the same footprint as a c&l s1 chairwink.gif biggrin.gif

My plain track is going to be either smp (for BH) or Colin Craig McBeth spikes (for FB).

Cheers

Guest jim s-w

Hi Larry

Peco points are flat bottom not bullhead. You can get pandrol clips from Peco (a bit rubbish) or Colin Craig (full range for S&C work)

HTH

Jim

Thats ok, I shall only be mixing different types of chair on pointwork.

I wouldn't recommend this. I seem to recall that Exacto chairs stand slightly higher than C&L ones, so if you mix them you end up with a slight gap under the C&L ones (this is assuming that you're sliding them onto the rail and glueing them down - if you're just cutting them in half and using them cosmetically, doesn't really matter I guess). I find the Exacto ones superior in general though, crisper moldings and generally easier to work with.

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't recommend this. I seem to recall that Exacto chairs stand slightly higher than C&L ones, so if you mix them you end up with a slight gap under the C&L ones (this is assuming that you're sliding them onto the rail and glueing them down - if you're just cutting them in half and using them cosmetically, doesn't really matter I guess). I find the Exacto ones superior in general though, crisper moldings and generally easier to work with.

Thanks for that info. At the moment the only exactosclae ones I was going to go for is the 4 bolt L1 type, which I can't see listed by C&L.

I am planning on following Norman Solomans instructions as shown in Righ Track10, where apart from the L1 and slide chairs, all other types are represented by s1 chairs.

So, with only a handful of L1 chairs per turnout I will lower them in height to match the C&L ones, if the issue occurs.

Although the general consensus seems to be that the exactoscale chairs are slightly finer, I have seen C&L pointwork in the flesh and am happy with the appearance.

The current sale males the total package £7.50 cheaper with C&L over exactoscale.

Now, how tight am I feeling..........

Exactoscale sell the point chairing on its own now if you really want to be posh, the nose chairs especially stand out.

Hi Jim,

The idea was simply to make the outside of the Peco points more or less visually match my SMP plain track.

Cheers,

LG

You could try it but you may end up with very little Peco chair holding the rail in place to get anything stuck over it near the rail. As Peco is FB not BH then you'd also have a height problem as the Peco track isn't spaced off the sleepers.

You could try it but you may end up with very little Peco chair holding the rail in place to get anything stuck over it near the rail. As Peco is FB not BH then you'd also have a height problem as the Peco track isn't spaced off the sleepers.

Herebye lies the strength of RMweb....I can discover any potential gremlins before wasting any money. Thanks.icon_thumbsup2.gif

Archived