Locos working in multiple fitted with slow speed control.

• RMweb Premium

Question for M.G.R. drivers or anyone with knowledge of S.S.C. If two locomotives are working in multiple and are driven from one loco fitted with S.S.C. (the second loco not fitted) would it be possible for the speed of the train to be controlled by the S.S.C?

Allan 

Not absolutely sure on this, but if the lead loco is in SSC mode, then it is controlling the power to maintain the set speed. This I am thinking would be via the control air pressure to the engine governer and being linked to the other loco by the white pipes at the buffer beams, would also control the loco in multiple. Would only be applicable to some class 20s and a handful of 26s. Class 47s weren't multiple compatible, and 56s and 58s worked MGR trains solo.

Dave

Yes it is possible to have two locos in multiple and work in SSC, but it differs in how it operates between the different loco class so fitted. I only worked on SSC fitted 37's but never in multiple. I have read through the BR Train Crew Manual regarding operation of SSC fitted locos, (BR33056/1), and there is quite a lot in it. If I find time I'll try and copy the relevant bits and post them, but it will run to quite a few pages. For 20's & 37's the manual talks about "Master" and "Slave" locomotives when in multiple, whereas for the Class 26 there is a different set up. No two classes of loco where the same in operation.

Paul J.

Yes it is possible to have two locos in multiple and work in SSC, but it differs in how it operates between the different loco class so fitted. I only worked on SSC fitted 37's but never in multiple. I have read through the BR Train Crew Manual regarding operation of SSC fitted locos, (BR33056/1), and there is quite a lot in it. If I find time I'll try and copy the relevant bits and post them, but it will run to quite a few pages. For 20's & 37's the manual talks about "Master" and "Slave" locomotives when in multiple, whereas for the Class 26 there is a different set up. No two classes of loco where the same in operation.

Paul J.

Not absolutely sure on this, but if the lead loco is in SSC mode, then it is controlling the power to maintain the set speed. This I am thinking would be via the control air pressure to the engine governer and being linked to the other loco by the white pipes at the buffer beams, would also control the loco in multiple. Would only be applicable to some class 20s and a handful of 26s. Class 47s weren't multiple compatible, and 56s and 58s worked MGR trains solo.

Dave

Thanks chaps for your replies, when I posted it was in my mind using smaller locos, anyway your reply Paul, had made it even more interesting.

Allan

• RMweb Gold

Class 56 worked double headed Port-Talbot-Llanwern iron ore traffic, but I cannot say if these used SSC during the loading or unloading process.  I imagine unloading tipplers on the move would be a bit exciting, but they were fitted with special swivelling couplings to be tippled (is that an actual verb?) without uncoupling, so I suppose it is possible...

Class 56 worked double headed Port-Talbot-Llanwern iron ore traffic, but I cannot say if these used SSC during the loading or unloading process.  I imagine unloading tipplers on the move would be a bit exciting, but they were fitted with special swivelling couplings to be tippled (is that an actual verb?) without uncoupling, so I suppose it is possible...

I believe the tipplers had to be drawn forward and stopped for each wagonto be tipped

56s automatically use the slow speed on the leading loco when selected

The LLanwern tipplers used to be moved through the tippler by a trackside mechanism. The locos used to uncouple from the train and wait down by the shunters cabin for the train to be tippled. When they originally had triple headed 37's at the head, non of the locos had SSC fitted. See this photo for the evidence.

https://flic.kr/p/cpLAw7

Paul J.

Archived