Rotating Ground Signals

Tricky

Hi all, does anyone have any experience of getting rotating ground signals to work by mechanical means rather than electrical? These are of the Midland variety (MSE) and rotate horizontally. At the moment, the lamp housing is attached to a pivot rod of 1mm brass that protrudes through to the underside of the baseboard. I have a Gem lever frame which I have rigged up to work two turnouts and two signals by various Heath Robinson means of subterranean string, springs and weights but so far the ground signals have defeated me. Any ideas or previous threads that anyone might know of?

Thanks,

Richard

post-31608-0-37435400-1491137902_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure about ground signals, as they are that and in the prototype are separated from and interlocked with the pointwork.

However, I have seen point indicators which are attached directly to the drive mechanism of a turnout.  in model form I'd use a slotted plate under the indicator and drive it with a rod that has an upturn (or downturn) at it's end to engage the slot in the plate. When the turnout switches the rod moves across and moves the plate.  The indicator above can then rotate in unison.

When the turnout is reversed, the indicator returns as well. 

To be more accurate, I suppose you'd need to use cranks and clevis type joints, but the method I describe works without any strain upon the operating rod or slotted plate.

You just need sufficient throw generated by the operating rod to ensure the indicator can turn through 90 degrees.

Archived