Yet Unnamed Yard Workbench

nathan9117

After falling in and out of love with this hobby and due to a house move not having space to start a new layout the bug finally bit again, now settled in and having many ideas I decided to re use some old point work I had lying around to create myself a small 6' x 2' TMD/Yard wrokbench. 

The layout is purely fictional and will serve as somewhere to run trains and practice scenery techniques as I plan the main layout.

The main layout will be situated in my loft with a space of around 8' x 18' give or take depending on the height above the floor, it will feature Digitrax DCC with computer control block detectors signal drivers and point motor controllers allowing me to automatically run different trains around routes as I build a train ready for a route in the yard area. 

During this small scale project I will be exploring the use of Digitrax equipment once purchased and practice setting up block detection along with configuring Train controller Software. (More about Traincontroller: http://www.freiwald.com/pages/index.html)

Here is the baseboard and a track plan I came up with the masking tape serves as track lines as I didn't want to start cutting flexi track until happy with the plan. The only tweak to the plan might be to drop the double slip at the front of the layout however it does provide me with a extra storage track all advise welcomed. 

post-12734-0-75780200-1491259799_thumb.jpg

post-12734-0-37179200-1491259806_thumb.jpg

Well progress has been made most track is now laid just missing two insulating rail joiners for the last two sidings. All point motor holes have been pre drilled and motors will be fitted when I wire the trackwork. Next jobs on the list will be track feeder wires and getting some back scenes cut for the layout both ends and one length of the board will have back scenes fitted the track running right to the board edge will join up to a removable fiddle yard.

post-12734-0-34576500-1491514557_thumb.jpg

Archived