RMweb

NRM layouts, a poor advertisement for the hobby?

On a recent holiday to York I took the family to the National Railway Museum. While everyone seemed to enjoy the full size exhibits the scale offerings were very disappointing.

NRM's own O gauge layout is a decent size but looking tired these days, however funds are tight so I can understand that the real trains take priority.

However, what I found most surprising is that there were two 'branded' OO layouts one from Hornby, the other Bachmann. Both were looking extremely tired and unkept and neither was operational. Surely this type of venue is an ideal platform to introduce people to the joy of model railways? even encourage a few more sales?

It certainly didn't reflect well on either brand and they would be better to remove them entirely rather than leave these sorry sights on display.

Maybe a few local enthusiasts should offer to help both companies by sorting these displays out? If I didn't live several hours away I would be at the start of the queue.

Thoughts?

As someone who was part of the group of Hull-based modellers, ERFG, who built the Bachmann layout, may I be permitted to comment?

We built the layout, at Bachmann's behest, some years ago, using materials supplied by them. It was placed in the shop and given over to the museum to run. This they did for some time but, as we told them they would, the locos wore out with the constant running. They insisted on using steam locos and the motion couldn't take the continuous strain. The diesels were much more reliable, but even they burnt out eventually. We did repair some locos but it was a "painting the Forth Bridge job" and we gave up. At one point, we had the layout back and relaid the whole of the running lines as the rails had worn down to knife edges.

We were eventually told by the Museum our help was no longer needed, so we haven't been involved with it for quite some time. The last we heard it was being taken to Shildon where their model railway group would look after it.

The Hornby one was built by a professional layout company. We had no involvement with it at all.

steve

Steve, such a shame your hard work is not being appreciated. As someone who would like to see this hobby grow it was disappointing to see these two layouts, fully stickered up with Hornby and Bachmann branding, looking neglected.

From a business perspective I would not wish see my brand potentially damaged in this way. Plenty of models in display cabinets but no better advert than a working layout.

I'll be writing to both companies with a suggestion they take back control or provide a bit of funding to get repairs done. Probably come to nothing but no point winging on here without being prepared to do something, however basic that might be.

Very sad to hear that these two promotional layouts have been neglected. It has got me thinking however. As part of Hornby's restructuring they have closed all of their concession outlets. Many of these establishments had promotional layouts in cases. I wonder what has become of all of these. I remember such layouts at Masson Mill in Cromford, Derbyshire and the Engine House at Highley Station on the Severn Valley Railway. I am guessing the NRM one is of a similar style.

• 1 month later...

The last we heard it was being taken to Shildon where their model railway group would look after it.

steve

Will look out at Shildon on our next visit to see if it has arrived. I hope that a refurbishment job is being planned for.

Have to say my two boys on a visit to York a while back were also upset find both the OO model layouts non operational and the Bachmann on look quite battered with bits missing.  We had been to the museum before and so they had remembered seeing them before (working) and so made a bee-line to see them again.

I can understand that over time things wear out, but I am surprise that the rails had worn out, especially as the Bachmann one only ran for shot duration's at a set time each hour.  Makes you wonder what is the actual life span of rail track on a model railway is.  I mean how does a place like this  http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/ deal with loco and track life span; when these are running all day.  They must have quiet a ongoing renewals program behind the scenes?

• RMweb Gold

There is a massive difference in running times for any permanent exhibition layout, and with rtr models designed for a reasonable working life span in domestic use, wear is bound to be an issue.  Track wear is surprising, though, and may be more related to environmental considerations such as expansion and contraction or glue degradation than wear from the trains.

Minatur-wonderland is a fully staffed professional commercial operation, and I imagine has fully staffed workshop facilities for loco and stock maintenance, not to mention a supply of replacement models on hand.  I believe setrack is used, and any that gives trouble will be easily removed and replaced while the layout is closed to the public overnight.

Pendon seems to manage, but is not open daily all year.

Archived