The Dragon's Friendly Light Railway

• RMweb Gold

The bank holiday weekend saw a small amount of progress with the railway. Sunday was spent pointing up the remaining blocks, adding the two blocks for the engine shed area (with one requiring major surgery) and putting the first pier in for the next length of blocks. Unfortunately that is as far as I got, and I'm out every evening this week and away next weekend, so there will be a slight pause in proceedings. Ah well! 

34260929321_8abfb1ff3f_c.jpgIMAG0872 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

34260928621_0f2cc38e77_c.jpgIMAG0873 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

34349645486_41827b1966_c.jpgIMAG0874 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

34349644836_51a71170ff_c.jpgIMAG0875 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

34349643726_8c0c67d92e_c.jpgIMAG0876 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

34349642656_a0d8e98ec7_c.jpgIMAG0877 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

34260925011_7d6f7e73c9_c.jpgIMAG0878 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

Edited by vjoneslong
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks chaps. No end date as of yet, I am back at work so its as and when I can I guess. The mother in law is visiting at the beginning of June so I am hoping that I will have the civils out the way and some track down, but we'll have to wait and see what happens. I'll keep plugging away at it. 

Thanks chaps. No end date as of yet, I am back at work so its as and when I can I guess. The mother in law is visiting at the beginning of June so I am hoping that I will have the civils out the way and some track down, but we'll have to wait and see what happens. I'll keep plugging away at it. 

don't rush it take your time saves mistakes that way .  And admire what you have done   phil

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Phil. I'm looking forward to having the civils complete. My batch of track has been collected by my better half from the post office so I can work on track laying before long.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is the mother in law expecting to run a few trains? It sounds like her visit is some kind of deadline.

She is very pro trains. It gives me something to work to, whether or not I will make it remains to be seen!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry for the radio silence, work has been keeping me busy.

However, I have had a couple of free evenings this week. This allowed me to get the final row of blocks in for the station area.

By the end of play Tuesday evening the piers for the blocks were in.

34520328006_9cfa0e4b54_c.jpgIMAG0891 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

34520327866_b392669bc8_c.jpgIMAG0892 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

By the end of Wednesday evening, the blocks were in and grouted.

34449825381_ef9068e68c_c.jpgIMAG0896 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

34449824711_1b132c15c2_c.jpgIMAG0897 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

34194221740_f304328d4f_c.jpgIMAG0898 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

34539091266_89c11b62ea_c.jpgIMAG0899 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

A pretty level surface.  :boast: In the second picture the block on its own is the entrance to the sidings. I will construct these in due time, but they won't affect the station track so I'm happy to get cracking with track laying.

A while ago a friend of a ringing friend of mine was giving up his garden railway for health reasons, and sold me a large quantity of self-made tenmille brass track with wooden sleepers. The flat bottom rail is held to the sleepers using pins. Its rather simple, but I was impressed with the overall look of it, so decided that I would use this. Specifically is being used on the curves since I can make it "Gauge widened" by an extra millimeter to reduce drag. However, this requires me remaking the panels which is a time consuming process, and then varnishing the sleepers so that they don't rot. I used some 5 year woodstain, with two coats initially, and an additional coat at least once a year.

34399898912_e0f0f7dc17_c.jpgIMAG0893 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

34399898952_d3d897d2b7_c.jpgIMAG0894 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

34520326166_beea0b7c94_c.jpgIMAG0895 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

The only major issue is that the sleepers and rail are quite a bit higher than the peco track, and since I'm still using Peco points, I'm going to have to raise them to meet the wooden track. Hopefully this won't be too much of an issue. I will detail how I go about this once I have tried my approach!

Happy modelling everyone!

• Like 2

Great to see tracklaying in progress Idris, but flippin'eck - that does look like a bit of major engineering with the block foundations........ and it led me to wondering if your neighbours knew in advance what you were up to?!

I can just imagine the speculation going on as they tried to figure it out! :no:

Great to see tracklaying in progress Idris, but flippin'eck - that does look like a bit of major engineering with the block foundations........ and it led me to wondering if your neighbours knew in advance what you were up to?!

I can just imagine the speculation going on as they tried to figure it out! :no:

That is a lot of concrete and weight Idris :O and superb progress. The neighbours probably think you'll fill the middle with water! :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Thanks chaps. It does feel like its been a mammoth undertaking. My neighbors already know. When I first started building the railway I had one pestering me within 30 seconds as to what I was doing. Still, they aren't as bad as two houses previous who told me off for cutting down and digging out a rather woody hydrangea.

Some more progress with the track. Assembled 4 yards approx of gauge widened wooden sleepered track which has enabled me to get round the first curve and on to the bridge. To get the Peco track to meet I need to rise it up by 6mm. Not a problem as I have tons of packers from  the building work I have done to the house.

34531916171_3d6300085b_c.jpgIMAG0900 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

33819827994_eb0fcb9569_c.jpgIMAG0901 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

34277001760_048226c95c_c.jpgIMAG0902 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

34276999280_61980a11b2_c.jpgIMAG0903 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

33819824404_070b37b985_c.jpgIMAG0904 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

There is going to be a slight pause for a couple of days as I broke both my correct size drills I was using for modifying the sleepers. I have ordered some more but I have to wait for the postie now. Ah well! 

Edited by vjoneslong
  • Like 1

In sunny Lancs  always seemed to be raining as I was building mine. That would wind me up if I did a mix and it would rain half way through ,covering everything up, and hoping the mix wouldn't go off before I got out to use it. Track laying was easier cause I could work under an umbrella.  phil

• RMweb Gold

Thanks chaps. I too hope then postman doesn't take too long!

Its raining here again, which is good as it has been so dry as of late. Some of the plants have looked a little thirsty, and unfortunately we have a hose pipe ban. Bah!

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Andy. I'm jealous of all your other layouts (as well as your garden one!)  :locomotive:

I decided to have a quiet evening last night, and spent it driving an Austerity (or J94) up and down on Train Simulator 2017. However, I did manage to do some painting of some figures I bought on a sale from http://designscanprint3d.bigcartel.com/products. These have been painted using various Humbrol enamels.

34298479460_74853878ac_c.jpgIMAG0907 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

33873272893_972df8109c_c.jpgIMAG0908 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

33873272793_8fc8077893_c.jpgIMAG0909 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

I really need to invest in a better camera!

• Like 2

Thanks for the link Idris to those superb figures, its not before time we had some realistic looking and affordable folks for our scale & railways, i think i'm putting a big order in today for a few or more! :mail: Your painting is brilliant :O Any chance you can give us the paint colours you have used? 

Thank you Andy. I'm jealous of all your other layouts (as well as your garden one!

Well the garden railway does not run far at present and the others are not in position that allows for operation either. The school summer break will be an important time for them all.

• RMweb Gold

Well the garden railway does not run far at present and the others are not in position that allows for operation either. The school summer break will be an important time for them all.

We'll keep our fingers crossed then for progress.

Finished two of the figures last night.

34560672662_fd244cfff6_c.jpgIMAG0911 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

33880181654_262428cce5_c.jpgIMAG0913 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

Made some progress with the others as well.

34682264036_50f44c8809_c.jpgIMAG0915 by Matthew Jones, on Flickr

Pinzer, you asked about paints. The list of Humbrol paints I have used is:

34 61 62 160 33 85 96 174 21 89 110 145 67 224 79 27

I used Matt 96 for dark overalls or Matt 89 (with a little Matt white added) for a lighter set.

Matt 61 is flesh.

Brownish clothes I use Matt 110, and then darken/lighten as required. For leather I use 62.

Hope that helps!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well the past weekend was a little successful in that I got Sunday on the railway, but Saturday was a write-off. Still, I managed to make 5 track panels (roughly 5 yards) which means I should have enough to get part of the station down. I have just enough brass/wooden track to make one more curve (probably the one beyond the bridge) and then I'm back to Peco Squirty-Two. Photos will appear tomorrow hopefully.

Having said that, I have been looking at this chaps offerings. http://www.cliffbarker.talktalk.net/NarrowGaugeTrack.html Has anybody had any experience with him?

It go's like that sometimes the best laid plans etc, i've been under the weather for most of last week so had to settle for a tea tray on the bed style modeling, i'm sure you'll get it done when the planets are in line, and mostly in my case when swmbo is out all day!

• Like 1

It must have been one of "those" weekends - we went from having just two gigs in the diary to a solid four days worth! Only managed to touch base briefly over the weekend, so absolutely nothing done here.

I've had no actual experience with the Cliff Barker track Idris, but I've heard no negative reports about it either :no: