Starting a new O gauge layout

artfull dodger

After a few stalled attempts, finding the holy grail of my engine choices for an unbelievable price last weekend has restarted my layout build.   Here is a pic of the engine, she is a Wabash Railroad F4 class Mogul.  One of the class is preserved non operational at a museum in St Louis.  These were kits produced by Kemtron in the USA in the mid 1950's.  This one has been beautifully assembled by someone in the past.  I also have an All Nation EMD NW-2 diesel switcher that was also a kit, but not totally built yet.  I have about half of my 8 foot by 9 foot train room done with 24 inch deep bench work so far.    Mike

20170408_143653_zpse5yw6jzs.jpeg

20170408_144704_zpsxvjdtypb.jpeg

With such a small room, depending on the mogul's min radius, the layout will be mostly a big circle.  I do plan to put some industries to switch cars at, espically in 3 of the 4 room corners, with the fourth corner being where I plan to put my 2 stall engine house.  Probably set the ear in the early postwar years when the main power was still steam with a few diesel switchers around.  The Wabash switched to all diesel power fairly quickly with a mix of EMD and Fairbanks Morse power.  F units and GP7's were the mainstay.  That happened in 1950.  But 3 or 4 of the F4 moguls kept running as a bridge over the Illinois river could not handle any of the diesels that the Wabash owned due to thier axle loading.  Once a work around thru trackage rights over the CB&Q RR were negotiated, the branch line and its bridge were demolished and the moguls were retired.  One of those moguls, 573, was donated to a museum.   So a branch line look is what I am planning, but not overgrown like a modern branch line today.  Back then, they still kept the right of way cleared and free of weeds.    Mike

That mogul is very nice Mike.

I was offered a couple of those a few`s back,by a guy (forget his name!) on the Yahoo P48 group for not a lot of money.But, i turned him down.

Now looking at your model,i almost wish i had`nt.....!!

Cheer`s,

Brian.

That mogul is very nice Mike.

I was offered a couple of those a few`s back,by a guy (forget his name!) on the Yahoo P48 group for not a lot of money.But, i turned him down.

Now looking at your model,i almost wish i had`nt.....!!

Cheer`s,

Brian.

Brian - I think I remember those. They were very tempting - if I recall correctly the Kemtron 2-6-0 isn't the easiest locomotive to convert. It makes me appreciate my Glacier Park C&NW 4-6-0s that were designed for P:48!

Mike, this past Thursday I was in the area the F4s ran - Quincy, IL via an Amtrak excursion. We crossed the Bluffs branch at some point.

Thats why the layout will not be p-48. Way beyond my means to correct the gauge on the mogul.  We do have some really nice P-48 layouts around me, Jim Canter's NKP layout in Indy is really coming along nicely.  We have a nice 2 rail O scale meet in Indianapolis in a few months.  Mike

Mike, will you be at the meet in September? I should be there again.

Jim's layout is a nice one, isn't it? I don't think I could handle something that size my myself - I have quite a long space to build (60'), but I'm planning on keeping it a narrow shelf the entire length - no continuous run.

Brian - I think I remember those. They were very tempting - if I recall correctly the Kemtron 2-6-0 isn't the easiest locomotive to convert. It makes me appreciate my Glacier Park C&NW 4-6-0s that were designed for P:48!

Mike, this past Thursday I was in the area the F4s ran - Quincy, IL via an Amtrak excursion. We crossed the Bluffs branch at some point.

It was Rob Adams if i remember correctly who was selling those mogul`s.

I think that i probably would have kept them in standard O anyway as my skill`s don`t stretch to P48 steam conversion`s.And anyhow i`ve recently got hold of two Yoder S12 Baldwins to play with now...but that`s for a future project!

Apologies for the hijack Mike...

Thats ok.  I do not have the patience to do P48.  I struggle enough with doing any benchwork, trackwork and scenery as it is.  I found a topic on getting the little Kemtron to go around tight curves and removed the fiber spacer washers on the middle driver to give more latteral motion.  Mine must be an early run of the kit as the side rods are all brass and not nickle silver I have seen on others.  She just keeps getting smoother the more I run the chassis up on blocks.  I polished the communtator with a ruby stone, this quieted down the motor noise quite a bit. Yes I am planning to be at the Indy meet in September this year.     Cheers   Mike

Wife's away for a few days so let's get the roof-walk off that D&H boxcar and ... oh no, RMWeb needs me ... A-N NW2 was my first diesel purchase (early 70s) pulled everything I owned, broke a lot of drill bits on it. Went to Indy last year, had a great time, enjoy. Real reason: Brian you've got 2 Yoder S12s...? Are you planning to bring them (1 even!) to TVNAM June 17? Good O-scale content this year. Post a pic on the Facebook group American O-Scale in the UK?

Back on topic, it's always fun to see the shortline's steam loco being pulled out of the overgrown yard behind the diesel loco's shed when it won't start, yet another reason for modelling a shortline. Mine leases D&H power when needed.

Jason

Brian you've got 2 Yoder S12s...? Are you planning to bring them (1 even!) to TVNAM June 17? Good O-scale content this year. Post a pic on the Facebook group American O-Scale in the UK?

Jason

Hi Jason,

Can`t make TVNAM this year due to work,and i don`t use 'social' sites either..sorry!!.

Hi Mike,

Do you have the 'Wabash in color' book, as there`s a really nice colour picture of #573 in 54' at the engine house in Bluffs.

Brian.

Archived