Mystery Bogie

Zen

I just took delivery of a set of 6 wheel Pullman coach bogie and found this mystery bogie in with it. Does anyone have any idea what it is please???

It could be american as the seller had some US stuff for sale.

post-22908-0-64887600-1491996292_thumb.jpg

post-22908-0-40146600-1491996515_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Im not a bogie expert by any means, but I'd say the position of the springs suggest more of a wagon bogie to me, but I'm not convinced I've seen anything like that on UK stock - unless its a pre-Nationalisation design, and it looks a bit too modern to me for that.  Could it be something US based?

Rich

Looks to me like typical equalising-beam type US passenger car truck.

I think that most earlier US freight cars had archbar (diamond frame) trucks, then Bettondorf trucks, neither of which this is, and it looks too light to be a loco truck.

The Commonwealth bogie, used under some Mk1,was a licensed US design, very like this, but I don't think this is a model of one of those.

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

I think having an air brake cylinder mounted outside the frame indicates some kind of motored bogie. The coil springs are the primary springing on the equaliser beam, there should also be some secondary leaf springing mounted centrally sticking out under the side frame to the bolster which seem to be missing. (Those separate vee bits in the kit picture?) With these added it would come fairly close to the Alco RS3 in post 2.

Rich: Well you might not be an authority on the subject but thank you, Having taken another look I think you could be correct in it being a wagon bogie and yes US by the look.

Nearholmer: Looked up the early US passenger car truck and US freight cars and yes there they are, pretty much the same. Guess it matters little to me now what they are to the exact degree as they are clearly US. But thank you for taking the time.

Northroader: Alco RS3 was my first guess A The Commonwealth bogie would have been more useful Lol But then what does one expect for free Lol

tamperman36: Yes good point kinda thought they were brake cylinders making me think loco bogie type of thing Thank you.

Thank you to everyone for contributing. Thought someone on this site was bound to have some kind of idea. So I think we are unanimously agreed that this is US rather than something British and unworthy of a place in my scrap siding.

Again Thank you to you all.

Bogies of this general design were seen quite widely in Europe. The GWR used bogies of similar design, generally referred to as 'American' bogies; I suspect they were also found under other British companies' vehicles. In France, they were common also, first being fitted to the OCEM stock that appeared post WW1.

Archived