Flying Scotsman

kiwitrains

G'day all, I am on one of my uk visits in July tried to get seats on the York to Carlisle trip 16 th July was way too late. Was wondering if anybody has any recommendations for getting some pictures before it reaches Carlisle I will be coming over from Newcastle got car so can get to most places or do you think there will be no problem in getting pictures at Citadel.

Thanks

If you can find a suitable parking slot, the A69 road runs beside the Newcastle-Carlisle line between Haltwhistle (i.e.west of) and Blenkinsopp/Greenhead.  Properly planned, you could get a fair length of movie footage there.  Another spot is Brampton Fell crossing on the road from Brampton to Castle Carrock - there's an embankment just west of the L/C that should let you get piccies of the loco and train going away from you.  Brampton and Wetheral stations have limited views (curves and cuttings) though the road bridge a short distance west of Brampton station might work.  Just thoughts from childhood memories!

Richard

I've considered taking photos from St Nicolas Bridge, looking at google street view there appears to be more foliage now than there was 25 years ago (things grow! shock horror!) but with the right lens I would expect good results, train speed should be enough to give time to compose the shot and take a few pics. There's the retail park with ASDA at the foot of the bridge for parking (so long as you give one of the stores some patronage, naturally).

Chris H

If you can find a suitable parking slot, the A69 road runs beside the Newcastle-Carlisle line between Haltwhistle (i.e.west of) and Blenkinsopp/Greenhead.  Properly planned, you could get a fair length of movie footage there.  Another spot is Brampton Fell crossing on the road from Brampton to Castle Carrock - there's an embankment just west of the L/C that should let you get piccies of the loco and train going away from you.  Brampton and Wetheral stations have limited views (curves and cuttings) though the road bridge a short distance west of Brampton station might work.  Just thoughts from childhood memories!

Richard

The A69 sounds like a good idea and then if not successfull could run over to Carlisle.Thanks for that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Outside of Carlisle the only spot I would attempt is an overbridge in the village of Scotby, on a road called Lambley Bank. Looks to be room for a couple of cars to park safely and you would get a straight shot down the line. There is a house next to the line and maybe they might take pity on you and allow you to take pics from their garden (unless of course it's happened before and resulted in damage). At any other spot in that area or in Cumwhinton you would be either a traffic hazard or be taking a chance with tracks and paths that may not be public.

Outside of Carlisle the only spot I would attempt is an overbridge in the village of Scotby, on a road called Lambley Bank. Looks to be room for a couple of cars to park safely and you would get a straight shot down the line. There is a house next to the line and maybe they might take pity on you and allow you to take pics from their garden (unless of course it's happened before and resulted in damage). At any other spot in that area or in Cumwhinton you would be either a traffic hazard or be taking a chance with tracks and paths that may not be public.

Thanks ChrisH-UK I will see on the day which to do.

• 2 months later...