Blank waterslide paper

RTJ

In Ian Rathbone's excellent book on Painting and Lining he gives two recommendations for blank waterslide paper - Hannant's XtraDecal and ATP ClearDecal. (See p.105)

I have tried both websites but am just met with a confusing plethora of various types.  (I need to experiment  with lining a 7mm 'Patriot'/'Baby Scot').

Has anyone any specific recommendations please?

Thanks,

Richard.

Crafty computer paper is where I got mine. They have ink jet and laser transfer paper in both clear and white, a4 sized. I've tried all variants, laser works very well and can be used straight from the printer, ink jet needs a little more care sealing the ink once it's printed and before it goes in water.

No affiliation, just a happy customer.

Agree with Satan's Goldfish

The only addition would be that if using the laser versions of Crafty papers, that you should seal the images with an acrylic varnish [i use Howes/Railmatch Acrylic Satin] as enamel varnishes seem to destroy the fixed laser toner. Once soaked and applied, they can then be covered with whatever type of varnish takes your fancy.

Agree with Satan's Goldfish

The only addition would be that if using the laser versions of Crafty papers, that you should seal the images with an acrylic varnish [i use Howes/Railmatch Acrylic Satin] as enamel varnishes seem to destroy the fixed laser toner. Once soaked and applied, they can then be covered with whatever type of varnish takes your fancy.

Interesting note. I've always applied them straight from the printer with no sealing, mix of water, microset, and microsol for application. Dullcoat applied once all dried and set properly, never had any issues with fading or running. (Same can't be said for ink jet which I only tried after being very used to the laser paper, entire sheet ruined!)

I'd imagine the white ink jet will be better for that, just remember to apply some type of sealant after your paint has dried or it may run off when immersed in water for application!

Edit: and yes they're all waterslide.

OK; thanks.

BW

RTJ

Archived