W&U locomotive tender water tower

Tony Davis

In the Middleton Press "Branch Line to Upwell" photo number 116 shews the water tower at Upwell which was a tender on a wooden trestle. Using the man standing close to one of the legs I have estimated the height (to the top of the tender) to be roughly 20'. Does that sound likely? I fancy the idea of having something like this on my roughly-based-on-the-Wisbech-and-Upwell-tramway layout.

Thanks

Possibly the way to look at it is does that put the bottom of the tank high enough to give sufficient drop to get a good flow into the tanks of the engines taking water even when the supply tank water level is low?

To which I would have to reply "I haven't got the foggiest!", although I know that someone on the forum will know. I did subsequently find on the 'net a reference to a tower about 26' high so I'm going to take that as the "Yes".

Slight deviation from your answer but on a recent visit to the Elan Valley I was amazed to hear how they had calculated the size of the reservoir and the angle if descent needed to supply Birmingham with water, incredible ( to me anyway) engineering.

Regards,

Tony

Archived