7mm Class 153

peter220950

Hi, looking for a bit of help here, I don't know anything about dmu's after the first generation stuff. I want to build a class 153, I believe they are descended from class 155 two car sets, split into single units, but my knowledge stops there.

Previous posts on the Web have pointed to Peter Clarke Models, but I can only see a class 156 set on their site. Any ideas? A source of drawings would be a second line to follow, to scratch build one, but failing that a source of something suitable to hack about would be good.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Peter

Hello Peter, interesting choice of passenger mover, I recall an article about a 7mm layout based in Norfolk that used 7mm models of class 153's & 150 models, it was in a short lived magazine called MRM I will try and dig it out later to see if here is any info in that. Or contact Peter Clark himself he may be able to point you in the right direction.

Failing that if you are going to scratch build one may I suggest purchasing one of the fine Hornby 4mm models to use as a guide to aid your build, this should be an interesting build to follow.

Best regards

Craig

Hi Craig,

thanks for that, I think the Norfolk layout was posted on this Forum in answer to a similar query some years ago, and the builder had scratch built his, so I might see if I can chase up that lead.

I never cease to be amazed how difficult it seems to be to find drawings of modern stuff when there are mountains of information on anything pre BR.

I will give Peter Clark a try, the reason for me building something 'modern', is that these units also ran on the Stourbridge Junction to Stourbridge Town branch, and I'm looking at a companion for the Class 139.

Peter

Edited by peter220950

Thanks Mike,

I saw that one, and it does show an interesting conversion of class 156 ends, but being a complete ignoramus on these new fangled things I'm not even sure how they all relate to one another, the 153 appears to be split from a two car 155 set, but where the 156 comes in I don't know.

I have now contacted Peter Clark, and the guy who scratch built one, and will see what that brings.

This is probably all your fault anyway, related to the set up and break down time for layouts. Palin's Yard is taking around an hour and a half to put up and not much less to break down, so the next one will be a bit smaller. I recall standing opposite you and Reely Grate (I think) at Warley, helping break down Yeovil Clubs layout. You just folded up the front flap, put a bit of stock away, and when I turned around 15 minutes after the Exhibition had closed you had gone!

It's not often that you can build a complete station to scale in 7mm, but with Stourbridge Town I can, not very interesting operationally, but I want to use the 139, the PPM and a 153 to build something small for a change. With the likelihood that I will be unable to model for a week or two after Fridays operation, I thought I would use the time profitably to go and do a bit of research.

Peter

Edited by peter220950

156/153 in model form share couplers, engine, gearbox, gangways brake frames and bogies.

After that they are both very different beasts. 153's are tempremental things at the best of time.

Bear in mind both cab ends are formed differently as a result of their construction.

Edited by modfather

• RMweb Gold

Just a thought, but the 155/153 bodywork was derived from the Leyland National bus body. If you can find a 1:43 model of that, it would give you a headstart.

142 was, of course, also based on the Leyland National. So an O scale 142 could also be a starting point.

I have a copy of the original British Rail Class 155 Working instructions booklet which has GA plans in it although they are not to a recognisable scale although fully dimensioned.

The 155 was a 2 car dmmu and was split and converted to the 153 as single units by building a new cab on the non driving end which is why they are not the same. There are still 7 (i think) complete 155 units running around Leeds with Northern trains as these were originally procured by the PTE

Paul R

Paul,

Many thanks for that, I have now located the drawings you refer to, and as usual with RMWeb the members have come up trumps, I have been sent a full set of works drawings by Chris Turnbull.

He also sent a pointer to his article on scratch building one, and in the absence of any cheat in converting something readily available it looks like there's no excuse not to get on with it now.

Peter

I don't envy you knocking out all those rivets on the body side panels

Craig.

As it's likely to have to be a tube type of body, formed over a solid plug, I will probably have to resort to Archers rivet transfers, as it's difficult to use a riveting tool once the body is formed.

Peter

As it's likely to have to be a tube type of body, formed over a solid plug, I will probably have to resort to Archers rivet transfers, as it's difficult to use a riveting tool once the body is formed.

Peter

Thanks for that Peter, I was needing something for my JLTRT Class 22 cab window frames as they had a multitude of rivets on the frames, it's a shame that JLTRT didn't put a nickel etch frame in for this purpose.

Best regards

Craig.

I only put rivet detail on the roof as you can't really see it on the sides.  Can you see the rivets on this?  

post-13986-0-58848300-1494265932.jpg

It isn't easy to see the rivets on the roof either but the roof doesn't look right without them.

BRM pg 4.pdf

The roof detail is, in fact, 20 thou Plasticard rod inserted into pre-drilled holes.  With this number of holes I did a few each night as I didn't want it to drive me insane.

Chris Turnbull 

• Like 1

I fabricated the window frames from nickel silver strip of various widths.  The corners are curved with the use of a Protofour rail-bending tool (and I mean Protofour and not Scalefour).  Etches are a good idea but you would need a couple per window soldered together to get the profile.

Chris Turnbull