Skegness Designalling.

WP_20170503_13_51_44_Pro.jpg

Walking back towards Tescos from town this afternoon I noticed that one of Skegness's bracket signals has been stripped of half of its arms; namely the platform 6 starter and the shunting signal controlling movements from platform 6 to the carriage sidings. While the shunting signal's lamp is still present, the main arm's lamp has gone. You can see the bare post in the above picture.

I'm sure platform six hasn't been used for many years and with the station's resignalling being a still a few years away I was wondering why the work's been done.

Only platform 4 is regularly used, platform 3 occasionally while 2 gets used once in a while for inspection trains. I don't think 5, 6 or 7 have been used for ages.

Maybe the station is being rationalised again.

Coincidentally, the current the current edition of Rail Express has a great photo feature on loco hauled excursions to Skeggy when all six platforms and carriage sidings would be in use during the summer.

Cheers,

Ben.

5 and 6 can only be used in daylight anyway as there's no lighting. 5 had a train in a couple of weeks ago for test purposes, I think the points have now been fitted with motors.

Some years ago, maybe 8 or 9 we did run into P5 for a time. I understand the point rodding was getting very stiff due to slight subsidence of the box.

I had an interesting chat with one of the Skegness station staff yesterday evening. He didn't know why the signals for platform 6 had been taken down (the lamp for the shunting signal has gone now as well), but there has been some testing going on to make sure that platform 5 is ready for the summer. There are plans to be running two HST services each Saturday which are to be timed so that both will be at the station mid-morning to cater for the surge in passenger numbers at that time on a Saturday. This should mean that the local service won't be crammed with holiday makers and luggage. (if the planning all comes together.)

There is also some interesting talk of direct trains to Lincoln again. Apparently these are dependent on altering the service intervals and pathing to have trains passing at Boston, which creates problems if there is late running.

Interesting times - I hope the plans come together.

Archived