Streatham resurrected (again)

George Hudson

Stratham

I have posted on this before but with the completion of a garden room for Aldersgate (see thread in signature) I am dusting down Stratham again.  It will be housed on some kind of a roll out stand to be tucked away under the (yet to be built) new Aldersgate baseboards.

This  is probably more of a diorama than a working model railway and designed to be something small enough to withstand changes in location (under beds, in lofts etc) and which displays some of the buildings which I had accumulated over the last 25 years or so and which were until recently kept in a collection of shoeboxes

Some are scratchbuilt including the one by the river which is 30 years old!  Others are Bilteezi which I have always had a soft spot since I first saw it at the age of 10 in the window of the long gone Hambilngs Models of Cecil Court in London. (God this makes me sound like an old buffer).

My usual principle is to model something which gives the flavour of a scene without the need, effort or time required to reproduce any particular original.  I am full of admiration for those who can pull it off but for me this would be turning a pleasurable hobby into a burden.  This principle has been followed in Stratham where there is a reference to Wisbech Upwell but no real attempt to model a prototype.

Anyway I though I'd just put it "out there" for those like me who like to look at others' layouts.

If it's not obvious, it's N gauge by the way!

Andrew

post-6781-0-29968500-1494869137_thumb.jpgpost-6781-0-02074700-1494869168_thumb.jpgpost-6781-0-39102100-1494869193_thumb.jpgpost-6781-0-95537200-1494869218_thumb.jpgpost-6781-0-46056700-1494869242_thumb.jpgpost-6781-0-36444100-1494869262_thumb.jpg

more to follow!

Edited by George Hudson
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

This  is probably more of a diorama than a working model railway

Seems like a pefectly good model railway to me - ideal for relaxing and watching a train trundle by. Your buildings are a very harmonious collection and you've arranged them beautifully.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, it's really good-looking.

When I saw the thread title, I thought that Saint Reatham, that well-known South London divine had risen from his grave, to bring again his ministry to the downtrodden denizens of Tooting, but I see that I've misinterpreted.

Kevin