LNER 'Insulated' Fishvan

Hi all, I'm building a Parkside Dundas LNER Insulated Fishvan at the moment, but I have a horrible feeling it might be too late for my era..

Can anyone tell me when they started being built/used by the LNER ?

Thanks for any info !! :icon_thumbsup2:

JB.

Hi,

Short answer- 'late LNER'

'Insulated' LNER fish vans came in two varieties,

firstly; those converted (by fitting extra insulation and twin sliding doors) from the un-insulted diagram 134 van. The 134's were built 1938-9, but I don't know when the conversions took place. Some sources say the later batches of 134s were built insulated from the outset.

secondly, postwar design was a whole new diagram- d.214. This had 15ft wheelbase (rather than 12ft on the d.134) and sported a super aluminium skin over plywood sides. The diagram 214 dated from 1949 and was perpetuated by BR as diag. 800 & 801. The famous B.R. 'blue spot' vans were developed from these.

If you're worried about the dates, Connoisseur makes a 10ft wheelbase 10t LNER fish van. That is an earlier dte than the Parkside diagram 134. Before that I think the pre-group designs were perpetuated with some modifications. I must admit this i the fring of my interest- pre group GCR fish vans are really my 'bag'.

Will

Hi Will, thankyou muchly for the information, it is the Parkside lut that I'm building, and my date is mid 1946, so all should be fine.

Do you know if the vans had NE lettering in 1946? From what I recall, the kit only has later decals, so I may need to source different lettering.

JB.

Archived