Ardlui station

• RMweb Gold

Wonder if anyone can help with information about Ardlui station. I have a plan of the station from Ian Futers Modelling Scottish Railways book. It is in 2mm scale so when i convert it to 4mm, it measures roughly 38cm longand 9cm wide, although with canopy it takes it to 43cm by 11cm. Now adding on a little either side of the canopy it would make the platform around 15cm wide. Is that correct, as seems quite a wide platform although have seen pictures and it does look quite wide.

Any help much appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

If the building is 9cm wide, an island platform would probably need to be more than 15cm wide. There has to be a minimum of 6ft between the platform edge and any fixed structure (buildings, railings, lampposts, etc). 6ft x 4mm = 24mm x 2 = 48mm. Of course, 9cm + 4.8mm is only 13.8mm but that minimum measurement rarely applies. You would normally expect at least 10ft which would give a platform 17cm wide.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

I am building a West Highland Chalet style station building and have made a mock up of the platform at 140mm. It looks ok.... just.

• RMweb Gold

If the building is 9cm wide, an island platform would probably need to be more than 15cm wide. There has to be a minimum of 6ft between the platform edge and any fixed structure (buildings, railings, lampposts, etc). 6ft x 4mm = 24mm x 2 = 48mm. Of course, 9cm + 4.8mm is only 13.8mm but that minimum measurement rarely applies.

So something maybe 16 to 18cm wide would be better?

• RMweb Gold

ok, so that works out about 16cm, which would make sense.

To scale, I suspect it's a bit wider than that. But 16cm will probably look OK on a layout. Maybe worth knocking a bit off the width of the building to keep it in proportion.

• RMweb Gold

My recently built, 00 scale size generic WHL station building is 95mm wide. The attached link

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119560-west-highland-line-v4/

shows pictures of the building on a 120mm wide platform which is clearly too narrow. My WHL island platforms are not scale length, therefore I am constructing them at 140mm wide to accommodate the building which is slightly less than true scale size but look and feels right to me.  

There are several historic models and various articles that have been written about Ardlui that have appeared in journals over the last 20+ years. I think I have copies of most of these, let me know if you want copies of these for refernce. 

• RMweb Gold

My recently built, 00 scale size generic WHL station building is 95mm wide. The attached link

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119560-west-highland-line-v4/

shows pictures of the building on a 120mm wide platform which is clearly too narrow. My WHL island platforms are not scale length, therefore I am constructing them at 140mm wide to accommodate the building which is slightly less than true scale size but look and feels right to me.  

There are several historic models and various articles that have been written about Ardlui that have appeared in journals over the last 20+ years. I think I have copies of most of these, let me know if you want copies of these for refernce. 

PM sent.