Frankenstein locos - bring one back from the dead ?

phil gollin

Have people any advice for the safest way to "resurrect" an old loco (over 30 years old) ?

It is meant to be "Mint in Box" which may or may not mean that it was ever test run.

I  ASSUME  (and we all know what that means) that I should ;

1:  Examine it closely, make  sure that the connecting gear works properly and that the contacts are "contacting".

2:  Do I oil it first, and if so, just the connecting gear, or should I remove the body and oil the motor bearings ?

3:  How much running in ?  All slow speed or slow and after half-an-hour faster, up to full speed ????

Any guidance very much appreciated.  I would like this as a proper running loco in as near "old" appearance as possible.

Thanks.

My usual procedure is as follows:-

Examine for any damage.

The lubricants are likely to have dried out and gummed up the mechanism. I would remove the body (with care - it might be stuck after all this time) and dismantle the motor if possible.  Try turning the works by hand. it will probably be stiff and require cleaning. I usually use white spirit, but IPA might be better as it can attack plastic (it also evaporates and doesn't need cleaning off.) A quick brush with a spot on an old paint brush is usually sufficient, but stubborn cases need a bit more. Once it is free, it can be lubricated. The motor will probably need the commutator and brush gear cleaning. Once this is done lubricate the bearing and try the motor under low voltage and it should run smoothly. Reassemble and try the entire chasis under power. If all is well in will run freely in both directions and can be tried on the track. If 'mint' as stated, the wheels and pickups shouldn't need cleaning (famous last words). Any traction tyres are almost certain to need replacement.

Run in at medium speed for about 10/15 minutes in each direction then repeat at a higher speed. It should be OK to try at full speed for short intervals after about half an hour in each direction.

I usually give old bodies a good wash using a mild detergent, but skip this if you wish to preserve the 'patina'.