need help wiring dc

bobby098

hi need help with the wiring,   just done a drawing of a layout that's going  in the shed,  picture below  all points are electric (peco Insulfrogs )  I like to run two trains , can anyone tell me or draw me picture where to put the wires to run 2 trains ? would I need drop wires to help with the power for the track ?  its going to be dc  , I know how to wire up the points its just the track I need help .. sorry for this but this looks like  a very helpful forum     cheers bob

post-27927-0-41882200-1497035579_thumb.jpg

post-27927-0-04603700-1497035634_thumb.jpg

It is a little bit complicated with the four crossovers between inner and outer especially when two are facing and two trailing. If it cannot be simplified it might need to have full cab control given that vast areas of the layout could be connected either to inner or outer controller when moving from one to the other.

This is as much a track design problem as a wiring problem.   If it has dead frogs on DC apart from a couple of kick back sidings it just needs a couple of controllers connected to a couple of feeds in each circuit (by my arrows see plan). It needs on / off switches between controllers and track unless they are centre off non electronic types and the discipline to turn one controller off when crossing trains from inside track to outside or vice versa, or turn them the same way for a very good burst of power.  Turning them opposites will cause a short circuit.

Basically kick backs apart set the crossovers, turn one controller off and drive across the crossover on the other controller.

DCC as above just only one controller

If its live frog forget it. Rip it up start again.

The track plan is bad for UK running, 99+% of UK trains run left hand road.  Bi directional running is signalled in a few places and bi directional running with trains overtaking was done between Blair Atholl and Dalnaspidal for a few years, while the West Highland runs right hand road at the loops.

The station trackwork is very unprototypical ugly and difficult to operate, you need to reverse into sidings to shunt

If three left hand points are changed to right hand to become "Trailing" (reverse across) rather than "Facing" (Go across forwards) crossovers you can get a more prototypical arrangement, but a single platform on one side was sort of a pre 1850 idea brought back in the 1980s (thinking Ribblehead here) and very unusual.

If the track is down, its Live frog, and you didn't fit isolators just pull the lot up and start again with a different layout, maybe with fiddle yard and loops one side and a station the other. 

post-21665-0-61457400-1497143401.png

post-21665-0-63212400-1497183896.png

• RMweb Premium

Bobby copied this to the electrics section and I believe he's happy with the answers to the questions he actually asked there ...... which is not to say he might not appreciate additional input.  But he did say quite clearly in his OP that it is going to be DC and Insulfrog points ..... and I don't think "rip it up" can ever be a particularly helpful comment :no: .

I don't think "rip it up" can ever be a particularly helpful comment :no: .

Given the context, the wiring would've been easier had it been designed more thoughtfully in the first place, because as it is it would be difficult to work the layout properly without full cab control or DCC. Furthermore, it just looks 'difficult to work the layout properly' in the general sense (which I don't mean as a criticism per se). I'd say it helps to hear an honest word, especially if heeding it could save you from future woe and headaches

Archived