Gleiswaage

David C

Most Bavarian BLTs seem to have one usually positioned roughly half way along the goods loop. My question is whether or not locos would be permitted to cross them. Anyone more knowledgeable than me have any idea?

Thanks in advance

David C

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't found any online references to the historical operating procedures, but at the very least you can assume that a weighbridge should only be crossed at slow speed, and when it was locked in place. There may also have been restrictions as to the weight per length, which could have exclude the more compact locomotives. Axle weight would not have been that important, as this is similar between locomotives and fully loaded freight cars, and may actually have been higher for the latter. Usually, a signal ("Gleissperrsignal") showed whether vehicles could be moved across the weighbridge.

I'll ask in the "Historische Bahn" forum of drehscheibe-online.de, maybe this will result in a better answer.

-jmh

There was an answer in the German forum, but it only referred to the 1972 operational rules of DB: The maximum speed when crossing a weighbridge was restricted to 25 km/h or a lower value if indicated on the weighbridge. No wheel chocks to be used on or near a weighbridge. Wagon brakes must be off when moving over the weighbridge, locomotives should not brake on it.

-jmh

You're welcome.

Another contribution in the "Drehscheibe online" forum cited the 1933 operating rules, which confirmed that vehicles should only be moved across weighbridges if these were locked in place, and that weighbridges with non-continuous tracks should only be crossed slowly by locomotives, if the latter were permitted at all. A bit vague, but it implies that local or type-specific rules applied as well.

-jmh

Edited by jmh67
typo