The CFBS

ianp

Later this month I am having a long weekend in Le Touquet which will let me take in a day at the Somme Bay railway (Chemin de Fer de la Baie de Somme) or CFBS. Are there any things of which I should be aware, apart from just turning up and enjoying myself?

Later this month I am having a long weekend in Le Touquet which will let me take in a day at the Somme Bay railway (Chemin de Fer de la Baie de Somme) or CFBS. Are there any things of which I should be aware, apart from just turning up and enjoying myself?

The St Valery - Cayeux section is usually diesel operated, not steam, so watch out for that...

I was at the CFBS the Saturday before last and had a great time. One thing to watch for is that the St.Valery based train is diesel hauled M-F in June. At weekends both the St.Valery and Le Cretoy based trains are steam hauled and the St.Valery Ville to Cayeux is diesel hauled. The highlight for me was the double departures from Noyelles at 11.30, 15.00, 16.30 and 18.00.  For phots just walk back about 1/2km to where the lines divide and the light is better for the latter two departures.  I didn't bother going to Cayeux but spent the time around St.Valery - a bit busy but interesting old town and nobody objected to us wandering around the shed/works at St.Valery Port.  I've attached a couple of pics to whet your appetite. Talking of appetite try the "Ficelle de Picardy" a type of delicious local filled pancake. I intend going back!  Don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Ray.

post-23517-0-77040200-1497551185_thumb.jpg

post-23517-0-31213900-1497551220_thumb.jpg

• Like 2