Measuring modern HO tarupaulin bogie wagon

Hello all,

I'm looking at buying some H0 wagons to go on my modern image 00 layout - however have recent bought an HO Cargowaggon to go with my other wagons, the size difference between, OO and HO was seen. Rather than take a punt and buy some more wagons, I would wonder if anyone would be able to measure the following type of bogie sliding tarpaulin wagon. Its similar in use to those by Colas rail.

Some of the wagons serial numbers are below.

Roco H0 67549 or 67728 or equivalent.

http://www.dcctrainautomation.co.uk/roco-67549-telescopic-hood-wagon-ns-cargo.html

Others that Id like to know are something like;

Roco 67317 or equivalent.

https://www.eurorailhobbies.com/product.asp?mn=4&ca=8&sc=HO&stock=R-67317

If anyone could help with these to see what size they are - that would be brilliant.

Thanks in advance.

Hello all,

I'm looking at buying some H0 wagons to go on my modern image 00 layout - however have recent bought an HO Cargowaggon to go with my other wagons, the size difference between, OO and HO was seen. Rather than take a punt and buy some more wagons, I would wonder if anyone would be able to measure the following type of bogie sliding tarpaulin wagon. Its similar in use to those by Colas rail.

http://www.dcctrainautomation.co.uk/roco-67549-telescopic-hood-wagon-ns-cargo.html

If anyone could help with these to see what size they are - that would be brilliant.

Thanks in advance.

From experience, you'll find the wagons, being of 'mainland' prototypes, are quite close in width and height to 00, but the vehicles will appear conspicuously short. Your H0 Cargowaggon would be a 1/87th scale model of a prototype to UK loading gauge, and so would look smaller in all aspects to 00 wagons.

In the past, I've stretched a Lima Tiphook covered flat, by using all of one wagon, and about a third of a second one; with careful cutting and re-glueing, I didn't have to repaint. The 2/3rd of the second wagon was used, with a scratch-built chassis, to make one of the shorter coil wagons. I rebuilt the ends to look more substantial in both cases.

I wrote up the conversion in 'Update', the DEMU magazine, a long time ago.

• Like 1

Yeah it was a Roco Cargowaggon, for Tiphook, branded with Ferrywaggon. That would explain the sudden size difference between the pair. The other cargowaggons I have bought, being 3 door Transfessa and other ones too all seem to be broadly similar and thus ok to use on the layout.

If these wagons are quite similar in size, then I think I will buy one and compare it to see how it looks.

Hello all,

Thanks in advance.

Hello The Black Hat

There was a nice little article on scratchbuilding the smaller (On Rail) steel wagons in the August 06 Modelrail by a fella called Robert Stephens. He in fact did several articles covering different wagon types all of which were very handy.

I have 5 of the ROCO On rail examples that I purchased from Howes must be well over 10 years ago now which I had repainted the bodies Canvas hoods and ends Grey leaving the 2 Data panels on the side untouched so at least there was some printed details on them. It would also  appear that I had used two different shades. unfortunately due to how long a go it was I may have just used the closet  that I could find but cannot recall.The bogies and Bufferbeams were repainted Railmatch bauxite (closest match).

The HO model itself is rather nice although the only difference I think I can remember was it had no end handrails. This didn't really bother me as it is H0 after all.

I also jacked up the height a little by using 2 washers on each bogie pivot. These being 8mm OD x 3.80mm ID x 0.65mm thick. I have a feeling these may have been BA washers.

It measures at:-

Length over ends - 127.3mm

Length over Bufferbeams - 124.0mm

Length over Buffers - 138.5mm 

Buffer centres - 20.0mm

Width over hoods - 34.2mm

Width over underframe - 29.5mm

There 9 hood ribs giving what looks like 10 sections in the Canvas hood. These measure at 12.45mm for the 8 inner and 10.3mm for the outer 2. 

Bogie centres - 80.0mm

Bogie centre to bufferbeam - 22.0mm

Bogie  Wheelbase - 20.5mm

Wheel Diameter - 10.95mm

Height from Rail - 47.5mm (with washers)

The article gives the following estimated measurements for 00 Guage as :-

Length over buffers - 161mm

width over hoods - 36.5mm 

Height from Rail - 51mm

Bogie centres - 92mm

Hood rib spacing inner 8 14mm outer 2 11.25mm

He used Appleby Fabricated Y25c bogies in the article.

Hope this helps 

Trailrage.

PS I would take some pics of the ones I have but have long given up trying to post pics on here as it never seems to work for me. I would have also gone had a look to see if  I still have a matching Gey but considering the size of the spider I just encountered which can only be described as house spider on steroids! I think I'll Wait until daytime!

Edited by TRAILRAGE

Massive thanks for the detailed replies in this thread. Looking at the pictures there is its going to be possible to buy these HO wagons and use them on a modern short steel train.

The Heljan Cargowagons stand rather tall in comparison with some 00 gauge engines. While these might be a tad short by comparison a rake of these should look fine behind a diesel on the layout.

Now just need to sell surplus wagon stock to fund the purchase of these...

Again, the photos and information has been really massively appreciated.

Edited by The Black Hat

I've had them in the same rake as Bachmann's BRA wagons and I don't think they look out of place. My BRA wagons are in storage at present however so I'm not able to get some comparison shots on those for you at the moment.