Oldham king street is real in 1980s or not real ?

Oldham King Street is very definitely a model railway - and it appears to be set in the 80s. But it's a fictional layout.

There is a metrolink tram stop called Kings Street - but it's a new station built when the trams were introduced. I don't think there was a historical station of that name.

Mind you Oldham did/does have a station called Oldham Mumps!! Must be one of the oddest names. I presume there's something else to it and it wasn't just named after an unpleasant infectious disease!!

Oldham King street is a great little O gauge layout, but it did start out life as a NER layout if I recall "trying to remember what was written in the article it appeared in", it was originally built by Ian Futers, and the gentleman who made it in into Oldham King Street was the buyer of the layout off Ian, and yes it is a "what if" layout, not based on any prototype in Oldham

Best regards

Craig.

As regards heavy rail as against the Metrolink (Trams ) in Oldham there were 4 stations in Oldham in real life. Oldham King street the model is fictitious.

During the and up ro the 1980's and slightly later there was also yard in later years concentrating on mail order traffic. This was known as Oldham Clegg Street.

Sadly now no heavy rail left only the memories of class 08,25,31,40,45,47,128 and the regular DMU service.

The 47 went Newton Heath for servicing if I remember right as it was a regular Cardiff Canton loco used on an parcel service leaving Oldham around 6.00 pm.

Edited by johnd