Working Timetable Studies

28XX

I've been looking through the Western Region WTT No. 13 for Sept 1949 to find some appropriate trains to reroute through Borsetshire. My eye caught the class F 2.50 am Oxley Sidings to Bristol (W.D.) on page 182. Does W.D. in this context mean War Department? If so, What sort of load would be carried? Tanks and armoured cars or just vans and opens? Would any special precautions be taken?

I've been looking through the Western Region WTT No. 13 for Sept 1949 to find some appropriate trains to reroute through Borsetshire. My eye caught the class F 2.50 am Oxley Sidings to Bristol (W.D.) on page 182. Does W.D. in this context mean War Department? If so, What sort of load would be carried? Tanks and armoured cars or just vans and opens? Would any special precautions be taken?

West Depot; a marshalling yard near the junction for the Portishead branch, where traffic to and from the West Country was sorted. there was another depot, Bristol East, for other destinations. It would probably be carrying all sorts of stuff in vans and opens.