The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Dacia cars, any views on them

mikes rail

Perhaps not quite so frugal of fuel as the bells-&-whistles opposition....but, all the same....?

Actually the Sandero now uses the current Renault 3 cylinder (turbo on higher spec models) engine so it's up to scratch there.

A friend's father in law unloads them off the ship (among other things). His views on their build quality are not printable. He told me that originally they'd drive them off the ship but they had one batch where too many had no oil left in them when they arrived (and consequent problems) that they had to switch to towing them with a sort of triage station to check things through before they'd start them up. Obviously that kind of knackers the unloading time/schedule. Hopefully they weed out/fix them before it gets to a forecourt and seen by a customer, and not all shiploads would be like that, but he wouldn't touch one. Doesn't stop us suggesting it every time he thinks about getting a new car though.

• RMweb Premium

Does the Stepway version of the Sandero, have a driving  seat higher from the ground, than the ordinary Sandero?

The Stepway has a 40mm higher ride height.

DT

• Like 1

A friend's father in law unloads them off the ship (among other things). His views on their build quality are not printable. He told me that originally they'd drive them off the ship but they had one batch where too many had no oil left in them when they arrived (and consequent problems) that they had to switch to towing them with a sort of triage station to check things through before they'd start them up. Obviously that kind of knackers the unloading time/schedule. Hopefully they weed out/fix them before it gets to a forecourt and seen by a customer, and not all shiploads would be like that, but he wouldn't touch one. Doesn't stop us suggesting it every time he thinks about getting a new car though.

I'm pretty sure the same sorts of stories an be leveled at most makes that come into the country via a ship?

Dacia [Renault, obviously?] has had its fair share of quality control issues in the past, but not necessarily across the whole range. I seem to recall the Duster having quality control issues in its Indian factory.....? Now apparently sorted?

But many other manufacturers have the same quality control issues at times, because each model seems to be made in a different factory, in a different part of the world..[wherever labour costs are cheapest, perhaps?}    I recall quality issues with the VW Up, as against the SEAT Arosa?  Even Suzuki had some issues, with their Indian factory at one time, if the press were to be believed?

The main issue is....if quality control has a lapse, how well will the brand actually deal with it?

The Dacia Duster is good for keeping the garage clean and cobweb free. :sungum:

I await the arrival of their pickup...the DAcia Dokker.....

• RMweb Gold

Dokkers are well-sold here. The Stepway version in a decent metallic looks the biz in that sector. One French annual edition of a magazine, reviewing the entire market, gave it 5 stars and asked "Why pay more?"

In other areas (musical instruments in thinking of here), one of the corners which get cut by budget brands is quality control - eg a Stagg guitar; you have a reasonable chance of getting a good one, but a higher chance of a duffer than if you buy a Gibson. I don't know if that's the case with Dacia, but to sell what they sell for the prices they do, they must have cut some corners somewhere by comparison with the more expensive brands.

I don't think they originally fared that well in crash tests either - apparently the Duster, Lodgy and Logan only scored 3 stars on the euro ncap test. The Sandero scored 4.

My car is coming up to the time where I am thinking about changing it, and I was pretty impressed with Dacia's philosophy.  I am no Luddite, but I don't need hundreds of gadgets which will go wrong.  I am perfectly capable of switching on the headlights, or windscreen wipers and checking the tyre pressures (Yes, I know that tyre pressure sensors are now required by EU law).  Plus, alloy wheels are just expensive with no advantage over steel rims - except for looking marginally better.

However, the main thing that puts me off is the crash tests.  Obviously, nobody buys a car expecting to crash it, but it is an important consideration in the event that something happens - and accidents do happen.

Of course, a 3 star Duster is still going to behave better in a crash than a 5 star super-mini - but even so.  In my humble opinion that is an area they need to work on.

• RMweb Premium

Might be less of a struggle standing up once one's legs are out?

Yes, we're getting on a bit, but access to and egress from the Stepway is no problem.  Best thing is to go to a dealer and try for yourself.

Our Sandero Stepway has 32300 miles on the clock and is due to have its first MOT shortly.  Since we bought it it's had no new parts except for those standard on services, eg filters and whatever.  It's still got the original Goodyear rear tyres, though the front ones were replaced at about 24000 miles.  It'll be interesting to see how it gets on (better take it in before the 3-year warranty runs out).

DT

• Like 1