OO9 terminus in planning

SovietSalad

Hi all,

Looking to get started in narrow gauge modelling, and I've settled on 009 due to a lack of space for a huge baseboard.

I am looking to do something like a modern-day tourist passenger type line; a simple terminus with a running line going into a tunnel to a fiddle yard.

Out of interest, how many carriages would you guys say would fit in a 36cm platform bay with a large-ish steam tank engine?

Still not decided on rolling stock, but likely 1 or 2 resident shunters and 2 larger locomotives for hauling trains. I'm looking at one of the parkside-dundas locomotive which fit on the Bachmann bogied switching loco chassis as a possibility as the first loco to build.

Any suggestions or improvements, please let me know, the track plan is subject to change. I've got up to 200cm x 65cm to play with.

Shunting potential is more important than running long trains, and there is no continuous run (although it is a possibility.)

I'll post updates if and when I start.

post-24118-0-57247500-1498327363_thumb.png

post-24118-0-00735300-1498327375.png

post-24118-0-58614000-1498327384_thumb.png

• Like 1

I would suggest you increase the length of your run-round loop, as that will restrict the length of trains more than the platform. I would be inclined to use the straight side of your platform for the main loop, and perhaps not bother with the second point to the curved platform. However, I do realise that, with a superfluity of locos, as often happens on such lines, there might be other ways of getting locos to the correct end of the train before departure.

PS

Just noticed you have a duplicate thread in the Layouts section, where The Johnster's response is far more comprehensive than mine. I suggest you ask the moderators to merge the two topics to save confusion.

Edited by Nick Holliday
  • Like 1

I would suggest you increase the length of your run-round loop, as that will restrict the length of trains more than the platform. I would be inclined to use the straight side of your platform for the main loop, and perhaps not bother with the second point to the curved platform. However, I do realise that, with a superfluity of locos, as often happens on such lines, there might be other ways of getting locos to the correct end of the train before departure.

PS

Just noticed you have a duplicate thread in the Layouts section, where The Johnster's response is far more comprehensive than mine. I suggest you ask the moderators to merge the two topics to save confusion.

Thanks Nick, I will likely get rid of the 2nd set of points coming off the running line and extend the platform with the remaining space. How would I go about summoning a mod to merge the threads?