Abandoned Tunnel Waterloo and City Line

jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

I've just been reading Gilham's history of the W & C and it prompted a question in my mind. Until Approx 1990 all stock moves on and off the W & C were via the Armstrong Lift that was north of the Windsor Lines platforms. The bottom of the left lead into a short tunnel that trailed into the City bound tunnel not far from the end of the platforms at Waterloo.

There is mention in Gilham's book of the pointwork and track being removed after the lift was demolished to make way for the Eurostar terminal but there is no mention as to what happened to the length of tunnel.

Does anyone know if the tunnel still exists and if it is used for anything now. I', just asking out of idle curiosity.

Jamie

Jamie,

there is still a short length of tunnel, which connects to the northbound W&C Line.

Albeit rare, rolling stock is now lifted out using a mobile crane on Spur Road (see photo).  Individual bogies are taken out by overhead crane and road from the depot, south of Waterloo Station.

Gary.

post-25922-0-40285300-1499524585_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

A friend of mine is a driver on the Drain. I'll ask him to get some pictures of it.

Thanks very much for that. I'm planning, long term, to make a model of the Waterloo end of the drain and Gilham's book gives me most of the info but I re read a chapter yesterday and there was no mention of what happened to the abandoned tunnel. I know that they often end up being used as cable or ventilation ducts. One interesting thing in the book is that in the initial plans for the Eurostar terminal there was a plan for an underground car park and it would have been arranged so that stock could have been moved out by that route, but the current scheme was adopted when the car park was dropped from the plans.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

The tunnel was still there in 2007 - you can see the remnants of the junction with the northbound W&C on the Video 125 drivers eye view production filmed that year.

Edited by speedy