Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

ultimate budget modern image oo layout

As a long term skinflint I find that scouring the prototype for something appealing but still affordable is the first step and the second is to be fairly flexable.

Dapol 150's and Hornby 142's are fairly affordable and compact.

How about a station on the Durham coast line,  a 142 would operate most services.  Flask trains to Hartlepool could use a couple of detailed and painted Hornby 37's with a scratchbuilt flask wagon and after a bit of saving up and painting you could have a Grand Central Intercity 125 for services to Sunderland (using the old short mk3's).

With a bit of extra work and paint some yellow Network Rail stock would add interest,  for added tightness it could use the same chassis as the other locos.  Blue 37 body off then yellow 97 body on.  Scenery can be nearly free if you avoid road vehicles and are happy to use recycled card and downloaded textures such as brickpaper.  Baseboards can be very cheap if you can recycle wood that others discard.

Make use of Freecycle for raw materials but don't take the mick by trying to get trains there,  everyone knows that they are worth money.

I have found cheap acrylic paint sets to offer excellent value, I buy individual large tubes as the smaller ones run out.

Best of luck and post up what you achieve,  ignore the box openers that don't know how to make things and aim for a constant look to things.  If the whole layout is original and made to a similar standard then in my mind it looks better than average scenary with immaculate stock passing in front.  Look at the layouts in my signiture to see what I mean.

Thanks for the idea for a prototype setting. Due to the lack of space it will be a rather small layout measuring 80cm long and 19.5cm wide. This is the dimension of some wooden fruit crates from the supermarket which are robust enough to support scenery and the weight of a layout.

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/60731-the-100-project-a-complete-layout-build-described-in-9-days/

i managed to aquire all the wood i needed to make two 4 foot by 2 foot baseboards and 3 sets of legs when a neighbour got a new bed and threw out there old divan bed. I managed to get some great timber free for a days work dismantling two divan bed bases, I also got some good thick card to use in making some model buildings.

Another couple of places to check out are charity shops and craft shops as you can find some nice little bits and pieces for not a lot of money.

i managed to aquire all the wood i needed to make two 4 foot by 2 foot baseboards and 3 sets of legs when a neighbour got a new bed and threw out there old divan bed. I managed to get some great timber free for a days work dismantling two divan bed bases, I also got some good thick card to use in making some model buildings.

Another couple of places to check out are charity shops and craft shops as you can find some nice little bits and pieces for not a lot of money.

sounds like a good idea. I currently have the idea of making the baseboards out of fruit crates which should be interesting. they are pretty robust, free and seem easy enough to glue together as modules

• RMweb Gold

sounds like a good idea. I currently have the idea of making the baseboards out of fruit crates which should be interesting. they are pretty robust, free and seem easy enough to glue together as modules

Have just done that with fruit boxes.

From observation, and practical experience,

• You need to get as many boxes as possible at the same time as they vary in depth and design style.
  • TESCO seem to leave out fruit boxes for shoppers to take on; Sainsbury's wine boxes.
  • Make sure the bases have not bowed too much and they will need bracing.
  • As posted on another recent thread if you are then looking for big sheets for an overlay top - try asking at Halfords and get a cycle box.

Remember traders have to pay for their trade waste to be collected so are unlikely to object to you picking empties off the racks and giving you it for free!

Edited by john new