Heljan class 26 and Lenz standard 10231-02

Thebigshot

Hi Guys

I have just bought a Heljan class 26 and it runs with all the lights on DC and when I plug the Lenz standard 10231-02 the lights fail to work and hattons are saying it was working fine with one of there standard chips I must admit in 20 years I've never had an issue like this with Lenz and was woundering if this is normal I also note that how's say check the lights are working correctly as they are causing a short on DCC but I can't say if this is the same issue or not so I've inclosed a link to how's site https://www.howesmodels.co.uk/product/BRCW%20class%2026%20diesel-electric%20sound%20decoder%20and%20speaker%20(8)I hope this is the same fault

Thanks

Alan

Hi Guys

I have just bought a Heljan class 26 and it runs with all the lights on DC and when I plug the Lenz standard 10231-02 the lights fail to work and hattons are saying it was working fine with one of there standard chips I must admit in 20 years I've never had an issue like this with Lenz and was woundering if this is normal I also note that how's say check the lights are working correctly as they are causing a short on DCC but I can't say if this is the same issue or not so I've inclosed a link to how's site https://www.howesmodels.co.uk/product/BRCW%20class%2026%20diesel-electric%20sound%20decoder%20and%20speaker%20(8)I hope this is the same fault

Thanks

Alan

Have you tried plugging in the 8 pin plug both ways around ? as pin 1 is not marked on the Heljan socket.  The loco will run with the plug either way- but the lights will only work if it's fitted the correct way. Failing that have you got another decoder to try, or try fitting this problem ? decoder in another loco. 

Have you tried plugging in the 8 pin plug both ways around ? as pin 1 is not marked on the Heljan socket.  The loco will run with the plug either way- but the lights will only work if it's fitted the correct way. Failing that have you got another decoder to try, or try fitting this problem ? decoder in another loco.

Hi,

Yes I have and we have tryed it using the Lenz system and a gaugemaster prodigy and the lights don't seem to work and yes we have another Lenz chip same one and the same issue however I did try the chip in a roco class 57 with lights and that worked fine with the chip and the rest of our stock are eather hard wired or didn't have lights or a different pin (21pin with the Bachmann with lights) and no adapter to fit the 8pin one into so I've hit a brick wall with this so to speak.

Thanks

Alan

Alan,

Do a search on the Lenz standard plus v2 and you'll find reference to an issue with the early batch of decoders running the motor fine, but not running the lights.... the poster of the message stated that the decoder got a firmware update and the subsequent releases were fine.... I'm not sure how to point you in the direction of the thread as I've only just mastered quoting from the thread I'm replying to!

Andy

Alan,

Do a search on the Lenz standard plus v2 and you'll find reference to an issue with the early batch of decoders running the motor fine, but not running the lights.... the poster of the message stated that the decoder got a firmware update and the subsequent releases were fine.... I'm not sure how to point you in the direction of the thread as I've only just mastered quoting from the thread I'm replying to!

Andy

Hi Andy

Thanks for that

Thanks

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys

I've done a test using a test meater and have discovered that the class 26 in drawing 0.98 amps that is prity high for a model of today's standard

Thanks

Alan

I have read that some early model Heljan diesels have very high current draw motors compared to what might be considered a normal amount. However, the Lenz is quoted as having a 1amp continuous / 1.8amp max range so should be able to cope. Might be that trying another decoder will be the only way of finding out whether it's the loco or Lenz decoder.

Izzy

Hi Guys

I've done a test using a test meater and have discovered that the class 26 in drawing 0.98 amps that is prity high for a model of today's standard

Thanks

Alan

Is that light engine or under load?

Heljan locos do tend to draw higher currents than other brands, but I would not expect it to be that high unless you have sound fitted and are hauling a heavy load.

Heljan locos do tend to draw higher currents than other brands, but I would not expect it to be that high unless you have sound fitted and are hauling a heavy load.

Hi

That was under load and flat out.

Thanks

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Yup thats about normal for a Heljan,

thats why you cant fit Hornby decoders to them, the generally draw above 500ma i seem to recall however there was an issue with the early buhler motors in the class 47s causing issues with high current draw and various re-motor options were considered by the modelling community as its was the creme de la creme 47 at the time.

Yup thats about normal for a Heljan,

thats why you cant fit Hornby decoders to them, the generally draw above 500ma i seem to recall however there was an issue with the early buhler motors in the class 47s causing issues with high current draw and various re-motor options were considered by the modelling community as its was the creme de la creme 47 at the time.

I must confess I was shocked with the amount that it was drawing and off the top of my head the Bachmann 10001 was 1/2 of that at the same speed but I'd need to double check the figures on that all with the same load

Thanks

Alan

Hi Guys

I have spoken to hows who are the representative's of Heljin and they have told me the reason the lights don't work is that some of these models came out with inferior lights the go on to say ok on analogue but not powerful enough on DCC and a complete Change of lights are required

Please also see this link https://www.howesmodels.co.uk/product/BRCW%20class%2026%20diesel-electric%20sound%20decoder%20and%20speaker%20(8)there's also a fault with analogue

Thanks

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Yeah i think Heljan might have taken inspiration from the Hornby class 25 when it comes to lights ;-) it's a grain of wheat bulb, the 47s are fairly easy to fit new lights to it's not quite as straight forward on the baby sulzers unfortunately.