4X4ft Layout

Guest pboeast

Guest pboeast

Hello, I'm currently converting my 12x7ft layout from continuous run to a U-shape and will, therefore, have two baseboards spare. Their dimensions are each 4x2. I would like to convert them into a small layout, but I cannot have an additional fiddle yard. Help, please. 

• RMweb Gold

Hello, I'm currently converting my 12x7ft layout from continuous run to a U-shape and will, therefore, have two baseboards spare. Their dimensions are each 4x2. I would like to convert them into a small layout, but I cannot have an additional fiddle yard. Help, please.

Not a scale model but did a quite nice 4ft sq roundy roundy for my grandkids recently. One starter pack of Peco setrack and two curved points in opposite handing. Could be developed. Island platform would look very Ex-GC and an overbridge with station building on the diagonal would break up the scenics.

https://mobile.twitter.com/john_jnew/status/862975978041200640

https://mobile.twitter.com/john_jnew/status/863727778046382080

Please note this was quick and dirty modelling for a 3 & 5 year old to play with.

The long siding could easily be boxed off for a stock exchange fiddle track, Denny style.

Edited by john new

You've not mentioned gauge - obviously you can achieve a lot more in that space in N than OO. Do the boards have to be arranged 4x4 or is 8x2 a possibility?

It's worth a look at http://freetrackplans.com/ - they have some plans for small areas (incuding quite a neat idea for a 4x4 layout), and if plans are too large you might see a way to adapting them. Anyrail is a great tool for playing around with and trying things out, I believe there are other free tools available too (the images on that website are done using Anyrail).

At the last few exhibitions I've been to, there have been some fantastic layouts in a very small space, so they may be a good source of inspiration too.

• RMweb Gold

What sort of running do you want to achieve?  Obviously, if you want full length expresses you are doing yourself no favours by limiting the size.  My instinct would be to 'go with the flow' of what the space and it's limitations dictate; setrack to cope with the extreme curvature, short wheelbase locos and wagons, tension lock or Kaydee couplers to prevent buffer lock. which to me suggests an industrial or dockside location.  You don't mention the era you are modelling either, and while there are plenty short wheelbase modern industrial locos up to and including 08 sized, wagons are a bit more of an issue with these extreme curves, being long wheelbase 4 wheelers or bogie, which you need to avoid if you can.  I'd find a pacer squealing like a stuck pig on a sharp curve difficult to resist, though.  Steam era, with pugs, early diesels, short wheelbase wagons, and a more intensive operation in general, would be a lot easier but no use if that don't float ur boat.  Lay your track as carefully and smoothly as you can, direct to the board as no underlay or ballast is needed for this sort of layout, and you should have little trouble with dead frogs.  

A double track circle in set track would be fun, I had a double track oval, 1st and 2nd radius just over 3' X 4'6" or so for my son which was great fun back when he was small (6' 2" now) and something similar but with sidings outside should be possible.

8 X 2 might be a better option for a scenic layout.   Dock, cramped BLT etc.

Might be worth spending some time on the micro layout section of the forum and see what is possible in various scales and spaces.

If it helps Frampton is no bigger than 6x2ft with self contained fiddle yard...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90684-frampton-1980s-p4-1883-challenge-layout/?fromsearch=1

Edited by rich_eason

Guest pboeast

Thanks! Just to clarify, I have two 4ftx2ft baseboards for 00 gauge, as I already have stock in that size. I have already considered a Gillsbrook style layout (see RM for an article titled Fast and Frequent Trains to Liverpool Street) The inspiration is 9ft by 1ft, so I am considering shortening the track plan slightly. Any ideas still welcome! Thanks!