Modeling wierd roofs in Ho

Hey guys!

I'm an American modeler for British Ho. Right now I'm working on the Lbscr class E1, although I don't know how to make the shape for the roof. It has a weird sort of slope shape, I don't really know what to call it. If anyone knows how to model it in AutoCAD, id appreciate the advice!

Take care Guys!

I am not familiar with that loco, but I found some photos online. Although the photos are not that clear, and I don't have access to a drawing, it appears that the roof is a simple arc when viewed end on, but with a slope down to the front and back.

Assuming my interpretation is reasonably correct, can you extrude the arc shape (with a flat bottom), then use "wire cut" to slice off the ends at the sloping angle? If necessary, the finished shape could be hollowed out from below to give a constant thickness to the roof.

I don't use AutoCad, so I don't know the exact commands to use. (I use Rhino.)

Hey guys!

I'm an American modeler for British Ho. Right now I'm working on the Lbscr class E1, although I don't know how to make the shape for the roof. It has a weird sort of slope shape, I don't really know what to call it. If anyone knows how to model it in AutoCAD, id appreciate the advice!

Take care Guys!

Lofting is what you need, don't use AutoCad myself though so can't offer any more specific guidance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully the drawing is self explanatory.

post-6743-0-03116100-1502306063_thumb.jpg

The key is that the initial sector thickness is twice its height as I've tried to show with the extra lines.

PS One thing to remember about almost any pre 1930s British steam loco is that the shapes were simple to construct on a drawing board. In this case the roof would have been drawn in both side and rear elevations as simple arcs.  It wasn't until the streamliners of the 1930s that shapes became much more complex.

Edited by Penrhos1920
  • Like 1

Hopefully the drawing is self explanatory.

attachicon.gifdouble arc roof tutorial.jpg

The key is that the initial sector thickness is twice its height as I've tried to show with the extra lines.

PS One thing to remember about almost any pre 1930s British steam loco is that the shapes were simple to construct on a drawing board. In this case the roof would have been drawn in both side and rear elevations as simple arcs.  It wasn't until the streamliners of the 1930s that shapes became much more complex.

Thank You so much Penhros! The visual helped me out a lot! I've also seen your thread about drawing a steam locomotive dome.

I should also thank Marbelup because he said the exact same thing. I'm not too good at reading instructions, visuals usually help me :)

If anything else has been left out ill leave this topic open for responses...

Take Care Guys!!!

post-32198-0-56759300-1502312111_thumb.png

post-32198-0-05158200-1502312115_thumb.png

Edited by Javier L