Bachmann sound decoder in Hornby loco - possible?

pauln

I have a Bachmann Sound Class 25 which doesn't really fit with my modelling period. Could I take the sound decoder and speaker out and fit it into a Hornby Class 50 (obviously having had it reblown first). It occured to me that one is 21 pin and the Hornby is 8 Pin (?) and whilst I have seen's Bachmann's adapter for fitting an 8 pin decoder in a 21 pin socket I don't know if there's something to do the opposite.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Guest 838rapid

Hi Paul.

Yes there is an adaptor plate that would do that.

Have seen it on South West Digital's website although i no doubt expect others stock it to.

51967 Adapter board

you would need to solder a 8 pin harness to the relevent tabs to get it working,but on a class 50 you do have plenty of room to locate it all

I have a Bachmann Sound Class 25 which doesn't really fit with my modelling period. Could I take the sound decoder and speaker out and fit it into a Hornby Class 50 (obviously having had it reblown first). It occured to me that one is 21 pin and the Hornby is 8 Pin (?) and whilst I have seen's Bachmann's adapter for fitting an 8 pin decoder in a 21 pin socket I don't know if there's something to do the opposite.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul

One other issue with this, although it's perfectly possible to have the decoder reblown with class 50 sounds, as your Hornby 50 is an 8 pin version - you may then have problems getting the lights to work properly - if at all. Hornby used negative common together with some clever electronics on the main circuit board that altered the polarity ? to enable the lights to work on early DCC ready Hornby Class 50's with 8 pin sockets/decoders. On their latest sound fitted model - Dutch Valiant,(factory fitted with a 21 pin sound decoder) the wiring etc has been changed also to normal positive common. Unfortunately "Valiant" I believe, also has lighting problems, due to some factory wiring errors ?

If fitting the ex class 25 decoder (21 pin) to an 8 pin 50, it's possible to get the lights working, but this would entail some delicate soldering etc to alter the LED connections, to enable them to work on positive common. Alternately it may be easier to purchase an Express Models lighting kit for the 50, which completely replaces the factory lighting units.

Another option, if using an 8pin Class 50 Sound Decoder the lights "should" work as original ??

HTH

Ken

Chaps,

Thank you very much for the replies. The lights issue on the 50 sounds like a formidable challenge. I think plan B will be to sell off a couple of my older (non class 50) locos and replace them with Bachmann locos with 21 pin sockets. Hornby 50s sound like a job for a pristine sound decoder. At least you've stopped me getting in a complete mess so thanks.

Paul

I know this sounds selfrighteous, but... what I'd do, is keep or sell the Sound 25. Then get a decent sound chip for the 50. SWD is good, but I can vouch for the Howes decoder, which is pure brilliance... if you are selling locos, you could do one better and get both out fitted with sound!

I know this sounds selfrighteous, but... what I'd do, is keep or sell the Sound 25. Then get a decent sound chip for the 50. SWD is good, but I can vouch for the Howes decoder, which is pure brilliance... if you are selling locos, you could do one better and get both out fitted with sound!

You're probably right but (and here I shall be honest :rolleyes: ) I bought the 25 at a bargainish price thinking I would nick the decoder and sell on the loco (only when it was on the way did I suddenly ponder the question I raised above). I was going to get the Bachmann chip reblown by Howes (assuming they do Bachmann as well as ESU - the Bachmann is ESU anyway ?) only because Howes rarely seem to have anything in stock according to their website and £115 is a little bit pricey when I've been picking up sound fitted 37s for under £100 but (beating anybody else to it) I'm sure you get what you pay for.

Anyway a useful lesson in not leaping into apparent bargains and thanks again for the advice everybody.

Archived