Two nearby Depot Locations

The Black Hat

Hello all,

As part of looking into another layout/board extension, Im wondering if there are two nearby depots anywhere on the network, run by different companies.

I know now that some companies might service engines at a location, such as Tees Dock, where GBRf or Frieghtliner might have a van that arrives to service engines, but I was looking for more like a depot, with structures and engines getting attention.

If anyone knows an older depot, next to a newer built one then that would be super, as thats what Im looking for...

​(Obvious suggestion there might be something like Peterbrough but other examples or suggestions are welcome)

• RMweb Gold

You mentioned Peterborough which has two physical depots but Crewe has five or six

DRS, DB,Freightliner, LNWR, Locomotive services and I know GB has train crew but not sure if the have an actually depot

The situation at Crewe is looking like something Im wanting to do go - ie a operational depot, near a stabling point that serves the heritage sector. I know its rare really overall, but wanting a smaller layout that can run things on, compared to the regular layout which is fast becomeing something of a monster.

Cambridge used to have the steam shed adjacent to platform 6. Then the new diesel depot (primarily for dmus, but also local shunters) was opened north of the station at Coldhams Lane (1/2 mile away?). I'm sure there must be a few others like that. They ran in parallel for a while.

I believe the diesel depot only ever had 1 loco (apart from the shunters) allocated to it. D5508 was transferred there for a month (around 1965-6?) for some sort of familiarisation, though I have seen others there.

Stewart

Darlington had a steam shed running for sometime next to diesels and DMUs getting established in the depot built for them. So I am aware of examples like that from transition period.

Mine could be more uptodate so thinking EWS/GBRf opposite a heritage shed, which has been bought from an older shed and restored, but thanks all for suggestions...

Many yards now have multiple stabling area with signing on points (i.e. A portacabin). Sometimes this may include a new generation 'Nissan hut' maintenance area for one of the FOCs

For example, Doncaster yard sees FL stable locos both in the yard and in the intermodal terminal. DB has a 'Nissan hut maintenance facility in the yard, GBRF stable in /around the old Royal Mail terminal opposite. COLAS often stable in new siding near the station and have used the on track plant depot for fuelling etc

Very few FOCs now have fixed installations where they stable and do running exams and most don't have depot buildings except at central heavy exam depots such as Toton, Leeds midland Road, Doncaster Roberts Road etc

Although you do not mention a period, from your post you are looking at post privatisation so I would put forward Old Oak Common with the Eurostar ( now Hatachi plus 387's ) Opposite [ the other side of the running lines] Heathrow Express, First ( Manly HST). Going back in the same area you would have the headshunt buffer stop end of Mitre Bridge Shed [LNWR / LMS electric units] a bridge length (over the Grand Union Canal), from the GWR Old Oak Common(different height and at right angle to it ). Mitre Bridge Shed itself was briefly opposite todays Willesden TMD with both being close to the steam Shed, the same side as Mitre Bridge Shed, and briefly co-exsiting with the current Willesden TMD. Willesden has muiltiple TOC's using it Arriva Rail London, GBrail freight plus private owner.