The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Anyone Interested in Ships

NorthBrit

You don't carry little dutch boys for damage like that?

Ya, devcon sounds about right- we used something similar on the tanker when we rubbed through the shell plating.  Done from the outside via our divers, then inside we pored in cement because it was near the bottom of the bilge, on the bottom flat plates.  

I'm assuming the stiffener is welded to the tank, in which case the HAZ material is different composition than the rest of the plating, and probably somewhat porous (it's a weld...), so, through the easiest way it goes.

James

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, peach james said:

You don't carry little dutch boys for damage like that?

Ya, devcon sounds about right- we used something similar on the tanker when we rubbed through the shell plating.  Done from the outside via our divers, then inside we pored in cement because it was near the bottom of the bilge, on the bottom flat plates.  

I'm assuming the stiffener is welded to the tank, in which case the HAZ material is different composition than the rest of the plating, and probably somewhat porous (it's a weld...), so, through the easiest way it goes.

James

Elf an' Safetee stopped us doing that... :p

Yes, the knee is all welded up. As I said, the rest of the hull looks pretty good. The Devcon will allow us to keep trading until the next docking period - unless an opportunity presents itself before then.

Cement boxes - I've been on ships where we used to stock up on sand & cement pretty much every port...

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 29/10/2021 at 16:01, Kris said:

Rather nice boat in Falmouth at the moment.

IMG_2387.jpeg.8f13998e8504982e3615450dead7e0da.jpeg 

Shame about the Gin Palace monstrosity in the background, but, yes, Suenos is a very nice boat. It was built by DazCats, a very nice boatbuilding firm in

https://www.multihullcentre.com/dazcat-catamaran-range/

They've won their class in the Round Britain, RORC and MOCRA races so many times I've lost count.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Shame about the Gin Palace monstrosity in the background, but, yes, Suenos is a very nice boat. It was built by DazCats, a very nice boatbuilding firm in

https://www.multihullcentre.com/dazcat-catamaran-range/

They've won their class in the Round Britain, RORC and MOCRA races so many times I've lost count.

The only one that appeals to me is the cutter-rigged ketch on the left.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, MarkC said:

Just departing Antwerp here. We had this one moored nearby - can't say I'm a fan of the colour scheme...

20211030_121548.jpg

Back 'in my day' all the Evergreen boats had all-over green which looked hideous, I see more recently they relented and painted the accommodation white.  That gas-wagon looks to have reversed the trend!

I spent last week on the Isle of Man, sailing from Liverpool on 'Manannan', a former US Navy fastcraft now part of the Isle of Man Steam Packet fleet. Here's a view of her approaching Liverpool last Monday evening, taken from the Mersey Ferry 'Royal Iris':

Manannan in the Mersey

My outbound voyage was smooth, but storms blew up in the week and saw several sailings cancelled. Fortunately I got home on Sunday evening after that sailing was reinstated, but it was a very rough crossing with waves crashing into the underbelly of the ship. About half-way across one of the trim tab control linkages snapped, which didn't help!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

I spent last week on the Isle of Man, sailing from Liverpool on 'Manannan', a former US Navy fastcraft now part of the Isle of Man Steam Packet fleet. Here's a view of her approaching Liverpool last Monday evening, taken from the Mersey Ferry 'Royal Iris':

Manannan in the Mersey

My outbound voyage was smooth, but storms blew up in the week and saw several sailings cancelled. Fortunately I got home on Sunday evening after that sailing was reinstated, but it was a very rough crossing with waves crashing into the underbelly of the ship. About half-way across one of the trim tab control linkages snapped, which didn't help!

I avoid that thing like the plague.  It has an odd motion in a sea, which makes folk very ill,  got me feeling unwell a couple of times.  If we really do have to use it, there are a couple of seats upstairs that are close to midships....helps!  It is very broad in the beam for its length which I have always thought contributes to her motion.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I avoid that thing like the plague.  It has an odd motion in a sea, which makes folk very ill,  got me feeling unwell a couple of times.  If we really do have to use it, there are a couple of seats upstairs that are close to midships....helps!  It is very broad in the beam for its length which I have always thought contributes to her motion.  

Sounds like the Seacat, aka 'The Vomit Comet', which used to run from Folkestone to Boulogne. I worked at Eurotunnel alongside a lot of ex-Hoverspeed crew, who hated the beast.

• Funny 1

I found a seat on the port side amidships, where I could also see through the doorway and the front saloon to the bow. That meant I could see the horizon to the side and ahead, and my brain could make sense of the pitching and rolling motions. I don't normally suffer badly from seasickness and I was fine, but many other folk were in trouble. The alarming bits were the random great crashes from underneath, and some serious vibration when the trim tab control failed.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Sounds like the Seacat, aka 'The Vomit Comet', which used to run from Folkestone to Boulogne. I worked at Eurotunnel alongside a lot of ex-Hoverspeed crew, who hated the beast.

We've had a few over the years, and all have attracted that name!

Slightly off-topic but I have also flown in a Comet (well, a Nimrod MR2) and that definitely deserved the 'Vomit Comet' name. The seats face backwards or sideways, there are very few windows, and when the plane was dropping patterns of sonobuoys they really threw it around, only a few hundred feet above the sea. And as for the vat of stewed tea that formed the only source of refreshment, well the less said the better!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, MarkC said:

Seen this elsewhere - another shot of the todger - sorry, the bulbous bow -  of the Ever Given after her attempt to dredge a new channel in the Marlboro Canal...

EGIV.jpg

Incredible how big it is compared to the groups of people in attendance. I know Neil has show pictures of how big the engines of some of the ships he’s been working on.

Not being a nautical type, has some of the red plating been removed from the bulbous bow?

14 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Incredible how big it is compared to the groups of people in attendance. I know Neil has show pictures of how big the engines of some of the ships he’s been working on.

Not being a nautical type, has some of the red plating been removed from the bulbous bow?

The red is the antifouling paint system, which has been rubbed away by the sand/mud when she ran aground. This will have been taken as soon as she "went dry" in the dock, and before scaffolding was put up for access.

Yes, she is HUGE. Having people 'in shot' certainly shows the size of her - a behemoth of the seas...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 minutes ago, MarkC said:

The red is the antifouling paint system, which has been rubbed away by the sand/mud when she ran aground. This will have been taken as soon as she "went dry" in the dock, and before scaffolding was put up for access.

Yes, she is HUGE. Having people 'in shot' certainly shows the size of her - a behemoth of the seas...

Thanks.

It looks like a layer for steel, painted  with the anti fouling paint has been removed and peeled back.

25 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Thanks.

It looks like a layer for steel, painted  with the anti fouling paint has been removed and peeled back.

Without a good shot from the side, to me it looks like the bulbous bow structure has been forced back, with the keel girder being bent. The forces involved will have been very high - a ship that size, even travelling at only 7 or 8 knots, has an awful lot of momentum, and that energy had to go somewhere...

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Without a good shot from the side, to me it looks like the bulbous bow structure has been forced back, with the keel girder being bent. The forces involved will have been very high - a ship that size, even travelling at only 7 or 8 knots, has an awful lot of momentum, and that energy had to go somewhere...

'Just nip down the duct keel and have a look....'  LOL.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

the Mersey Ferry 'Royal Iris'

There's a name from the past, although probably a newer ship than the one I remember seeing in an old Ian Allan book. Pictures please?

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

FWIW, I actually hate taking passage on conventional ships that are fitted with stabilisers. To me it's an unnatural sensation, as I'm expecting the roll to continue a few more degrees, but of course it doesn't...

These fast cats are fine in calm conditions, but, let's face it, they're never going to ride well in any sort of seaway.

• Informative/Useful 1