RMweb

OO Terminus to FY plan

barney121e

• RMweb Gold

Hi all

Found a plan in a old Railway Modeller which i like. I have an area of 14ft by 2ft so plan would fit nicely. Can anyone suggest any improvements to it? Will be a diesel/dmu/emu railway with a Scottish flavour. Already thinknig of changing the coal depot (CD) to a refuelling point but open to other thoughts.

Any help much appreciated.

post-3108-0-72980100-1502119107_thumb.png

Edited by barney121e

• RMweb Gold

I like it, a nice flowing curve to make it look bigger and an uncrowded feel.  What sort of operating are you considering?  That plan requires shunting to block the running line and looks like a 'one engine in steam' operation, which may suit you, but if you want more than one train to be running about at the same time, I would consider the possibility of a headshunt between the loco shed and the running line, in which a 20 or 26 could be busily sorting the yard out while the passenger traffic ebbs and flows uninterrupted by it.  It could double as a carriage siding overnight, as the provision of the engine shed suggests that there is a last train up from the junction in the evening which does not return.  It would require minimal extra space, an inch or so of width at a location where there is one, and a turnout or possibly a single slip at the first point on the loop.

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold

I like it, a nice flowing curve to make it look bigger and an uncrowded feel.  What sort of operating are you considering?  That plan requires shunting to block the running line and looks like a 'one engine in steam' operation, which may suit you, but if you want more than one train to be running about at the same time, I would consider the possibility of a headshunt between the loco shed and the running line, in which a 20 or 26 could be busily sorting the yard out while the passenger traffic ebbs and flows uninterrupted by it.  It could double as a carriage siding overnight, as the provision of the engine shed suggests that there is a last train up from the junction in the evening which does not return.  It would require minimal extra space, an inch or so of width at a location where there is one, and a turnout or possibly a single slip at the first point on the loop.

Would where the red line is be what you are thinking for the headshunt?

post-3108-0-55566500-1502134799_thumb.png

My 'experience' of map-surfing small scottish termini like this is that they generally don't have a headshunt, using instead the running line for any shunting... That's mainly NB on the eastern side -- maybe the west was different.  Equally, I'm sure there is a prototype to justify a headshunt if you want one!

I'd be tempted to keep it more open and have fewer sidings though.

What is the upper siding used for? Is it a bay platform?

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies

My 'experience' of map-surfing small scottish termini like this is that they generally don't have a headshunt, using instead the running line for any shunting... That's mainly NB on the eastern side -- maybe the west was different.  Equally, I'm sure there is a prototype to justify a headshunt if you want one!

I'd be tempted to keep it more open and have fewer sidings though.

What is the upper siding used for? Is it a bay platform?

The headshunt was suggested just to help things instead of using the main line for shunting. Your right, the upper siding is a bay platform.

Why not put the refuelling point on the engine shed line?

The coal depot may be still in use depending on your era within diesel operation.

Don't forget to include trap points.

Gordon A

I have put it on the engine shed line in the second plan. I'm trying to not be too era specific so coal depot might or might not stay. What do you mean by trap points?

Cheers.

If you're looking at a potentially EMU operation, presumably you're thinking Central belt rather than far north?

In which case passenger operation could well be intensive enough to separate freight from the main line, especially if the industry is big enough to warrant its own locomotive. Though you'll never fit a whole industry that size on your boards, some exchange sidings for a largely off scene industry might work.

• RMweb Gold

If you're looking at a potentially EMU operation, presumably you're thinking Central belt rather than far north?

In which case passenger operation could well be intensive enough to separate freight from the main line, especially if the industry is big enough to warrant its own locomotive. Though you'll never fit a whole industry that size on your boards, some exchange sidings for a largely off scene industry might work.

Was actually thinking of south west Scotland, well a feel of it anyway.

So i have 2 possible plans and wonder if anyone has an opinion on either.

attachicon.giflochfeldy2.png

attachicon.giflochfeldy3.png

Any thoughts much appreciated.

The second plan looks like the one I am building, but a mirror image

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112850-danemouth-mk-4/

My mojo is on an extended holiday, I hope it returns shortly!

Dave

• RMweb Premium

A few thoughts.

The platform is going to be a bit squashed between the bay and the main. I'd shove a reverse curve in the bay platform line so that it moves away from the main quicker before returning to being parallel to the main, or there abouts,

Don't think you want it too curvy; branch line termini often had plenty of room and railways tended to be straight unless there was good reason to use a curve. I'm thinking of the left hand end, where also having the goods shed on a curve is a bit unusual.

• RMweb Gold

A few thoughts.

The platform is going to be a bit squashed between the bay and the main. I'd shove a reverse curve in the bay platform line so that it moves away from the main quicker before returning to being parallel to the main, or there abouts,

Don't think you want it too curvy; branch line termini often had plenty of room and railways tended to be straight unless there was good reason to use a curve. I'm thinking of the left hand end, where also having the goods shed on a curve is a bit unusual.

Ok, thanks for the thoughts.