Diesel shunter

kirtleypete

This model of an SNCF diesel shunter is on sale, a repainting of the 0 gauge Lenz DB model.

Did the SNCF have such engines or is it just someone's imagination at work?

36348086771_36bc0da98c_c.jpg

The number reads SNCF  DB 8.

I'm tempted to buy it, but not if the real thing never existed!

Peter

It's a German V36 so would have seen service in France during the war, only know as I was after a power unit out of one a few years ago to fit a NBL shunter.

Normally carries a black livery but some were in green. they saw service in Italy, Belgium, Austria, Romania, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, France, Sweden and Yugoslavia.

Edited by 25901

As you can see above, the tin one is plain green, but with the 50100 series number. Is this correct, or should it have the earlier number?

I might have accidentally ordered one, to haul the train of 1950s French Hornby bogie wagons that I accidentally collected!

This German site has a loco-by-loco history summary (click on the SNCF running number). http://www.rangierdiesel.de/index.php?nav=1410794&lang=1

From what I can work out, here and elsewhere, they were renumbered into the y50100 series in 1961, and the livery change, to a nicer green, with yellow bits, occurred from 1962. So, the tin one has a narrow time band, from renumbering until repainting.

• Like 1

Jack

Do you mean the form of lettering, or the fact that it has number Y50101?

According to the details on the German site, it was renumbered 10.1961, which I think was before the new livery was introduced, but I've yet to find a photo of one in old paint, with new number.

Whatever the case, it is a slight pity that the model isn't in the later livery, with yellow, because I can well remember locos in that scheme. Whether I saw one of these, I know not, but I certainly saw many shunting engines at the ports and around Compiegne and Amiens.

Kevin

Kevin I don't know.

For me it's more realistic to see a green loco with 030 DB lettering and a green with yellow stripes with Y 50101.

Of course the form of the lettering isn't exact and the size is too big.

I wonder if the one at Mailly-le-Camp is still around? I pass that granary at least once a year, as it's next to the A26 between Chalons en Champagne and Troyes. It's got quite a large track layout, as it also provides run-round facilities for the eponymous, and adjacent, camp. This link shows the site:- https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/10230+Mailly-le-Camp,+France/@48.6744067,4.1775101,591m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x47e9549997c84b47:0x40a5fb99a3f41c0!8m2!3d48.671701!4d4.195654