Dava

• RMweb Premium

I have this wooden box in my workshop. Its a special box, which belonged to my grandfather who was a deep-sea captain. After he died the lock and hinges had to be sawn open. I've replaced the hinges, inside its zinc-lined.

post-14654-0-16893700-1502569823_thumb.jpg

What's in the box? For the last few decades it's housed my TT gauge model collection. I sold quite a lot about 15 years ago. I've decided to offer these final items to a good home. Let's open the box....

post-14654-0-82315700-1502569915_thumb.jpg

The collection includes 5 locos/powered items; 14 coaches; 4 passenger stock vans; 27 wagons and quite extensive spare parts and components.

There is a mix of mainly desirable Triang, and well-built coach and wagon kits. There are a number of rare and unusual items. 

post-14654-0-60087700-1502570449_thumb.jpg

My intention is to sell the collection as one lot, ideally to a TT gauge modeller via RmWeb rather than a pure collector or ebay merchant.. There is an illustrated list. If you are seriously interested, please send me a PM with your email address and I will forward the list to you [daylight hours only].

In previous sales from my collection, I have offered good value and 'extras' to buyers. This time 'everything must go'.

Thanks for your interest,

Dava

• Like 1

What a wonderful post!

My initial reaction is that this romantic treasure chest (perhaps opened up at sea when in the doldrums ?) ought to remain within your family.

But, despite clicking on your profile, I have no clues as to whether this is an appropriate suggestion or not.

Please forgive me if this suggestion offends you.

dh

• RMweb Premium

The chest will be doing just that, the contents [in their boxes] are offered to be rehomed.

I dont know but doubt if the box ever went to sea. The Captain's last voyage was an epic one including a run across the Pacific after SE Asia was over-run by the Japanese in 1941, the ship was then torpedoed in the Atlantic by a U-Boat. All crew survived, sailing to the US coast. I suspect he had a kit-bag at most. Its another story for another time.

Dava

• 2 weeks later...