ESU ECoS 50200 or 50210

r53bertyboo

• 1 year later...

Simple question to those RM Webbers that already have them... is the ECoS 2.1 digital command system (50210) + ECoS Mobile II handset & access point system (50113) worth £900?

I am currently looking to upgrade from the Bachmann Dynamis system with Pro box and Bachmann EZ command 5A booster.

I don't see the point of the remote controller for hundreds of pounds. You can download a free app to however many phones and tablets you own for use as free remote controllers.

The "glass throttles" have volume controls that works the speed as well, but if anyone wants to spend some £300 for an extra rotary knob then who am I to stand in their way.

Perhaps some of us have more money than sense, or perhaps we just perfer to spend our limited rrsources in different ways to you. Personally, I think anyone who smokes/vapes, or does the lottery, or pays for cable or satellite TV, is wasting their money, but it's their cash they're spending, not mine, so why should I criticise them. It's their choice. Edited by GoingUnderground
  • Like 2

Simple question to those RM Webbers that already have them... is the ECoS 2.1 digital command system (50210) + ECoS Mobile II handset & access point system (50113) worth £900?

I am currently looking to upgrade from the Bachmann Dynamis system with Pro box and Bachmann EZ command 5A booster.

I like the ECoS and MCII, and am very happy with my choice, but I bought my ECoS 2 when it was first launched, paying rather less than £650 for it, and added the MCII handset several years later. Would I do it again, dificult choice, as £650 is a big ask and that's just for the ECoS, but you do get a lot of bangs for your bucks, and ESU has added significant functionality to it through its firmware updates since I bought it. I probably would, but I would try it out hands on somewhere first to make sure it was right for me, and that's what made me get my first ECoS, the original black and white one. It was using one that made me realise it was the right choice for me. Any regrets? No.

You could make the change in stages yourself, unless you're planning to sell your current system to fund the ECoS + MCII combination, you have two choices if you keep it.

1. Keep using the Dynamis Probox and handset as an extra throttle with the ECoS by connecting the ProBox main track outputs to the ECoS sniffer port.

Or,

2. Just use the Probox as an ECoSBoost booster, but it does mean that you can't use the Dynamis handset any more. However you could use a VNC Client program on a tablet or smartphone, or even a laptop, to control the ECoS remotely. These programs are often free, I have one called RealVNC and other ECoS users use one called TightVNC, both are free, provided you like "glass throttles". You do need to have your ECoS connected to your home Wi-Fi router to use them, but ECoS comes equipped with its own ethernet port.

Your existing booster will still work with the ECoS.

There is one other factor to consider, and that is the price of the peripherals thst plug in to ECoS, such as the ECoSBoost, ECoSDetector (don't use ECoSDetector Standard, it is intended for Maerklin 3 rail users), and the L.Net module for adding loconet throttles. These aren't cheap, and no one else makes ESU Canbus compatible items. You can use s88 kit as it has an s88 port as well, but I don't know anything about that. As I've already ssid you can use another DCC system as an extra throttle via the siffer ports.