RMweb

Goods sheds away from main stations

11B

Durham is another oddity.  The 1st station was a terminus miles out of town.  The 2nd station was also a terminus though somewhat closer.  This closed to passengers and became a goods station when the 3rd station was rebuilt from being a wayside halt on a branch when the ECML was diverted to run through it.  For completeness the 1st station was renamed Shincliffe when the line through it was extended to Durhams 4th station in Elvet.

All the stations were built with goods facilities but since the ECML was diverted there haven't been any goods facilities at the main station (as far as I can tell).

Elvet station spent it's last 20 years with a 1 day a year passenger service (miners gala).

There were limited goods facilities at the current Durham station when we lived in the North-East from the early 1980s to the early 1990s, albeit limited to domestic coal. This traffic went at about the same time as the Miners' Strike.

• RMweb Premium

Barnard Castle's station was moved when it became a through line and the existing station wasn't well sited for that, but the original was kept as a short branch and goods station. A little outside your area but a scenario that could be conveniently used even when there aren't any geographical constraints other than buildings (and you can place them wherever you like on your layout to justify that).

• RMweb Gold

All these answers go some way to showing that the OP is right that this is an unusual situation at a terminus. Most of the examples given above, and I could mention many others, are former termini converted into goods yards when the line was extended via a through station. Very often that involves a separate branch that the OP won't have room for.

So far as termini are concerned, whether in South Wales or elsewhere, it seems to me more common for the goods facilities to be beyond the passenger facilities than before them. And this can make for a very satisfactory model railway set-up as the goods yard can be shunted while passenger trains are running to/from the station.

One example of goods yard before terminus does occur to me, Pwllheli, where the line was extended to the new terminus station.

But, in the Furness context, I see nothing wrong, as per my previous post, in the station/goods yard being set out in an unusual format if the landscape makes for a constricted space.

BTW, only a few years ago some of the track of Reading Central Goods was still in situ. I don't know if it still is.

• RMweb Premium

So far as termini are concerned, whether in South Wales or elsewhere, it seems to me more common for the goods facilities to be beyond the passenger facilities than before them. And this can make for a very satisfactory model railway set-up as the goods yard can be shunted while passenger trains are running to/from the station.

Coniston is just such an unusual "Terminus". As with many South Wales lines the line continued as a single line to some "goods" facilities beyond it. No doubt they could be tailored to suit operational needs.

See these 1912 map views

http://maps.nls.uk/view/126513746

http://maps.nls.uk/view/126513740

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Coniston is just such an unusual "Terminus". As with many South Wales lines the line continued as a single line to some "goods" facilities beyond it. No doubt they could be tailored to suit operational needs.

See these 1912 map views

Keith

There was a branch to mines beyond Coniston. But the general freight facilities were adjacent to the passenger station. I suspect the OP would not have room to model Coniston or he would not have asked the question at all.

ISTR that Fairford itself was a station where the platform was on one side of a road bridge on the single track and the goods yard and run round loop were beyond it. .................

Afraid not. Although the run round loop and goods shed at Fairford were beyond  the station platform, they were on the same side of the road bridge and shared the same access road.  The goods shed was actually quite close to the station buildings.

Newport Pagnell, a terminus, would repay study, because the goods facilities were partly former canal warehouses, the line having been built on the course of the canal, and all was beyond the station.

K

post-26817-0-46695800-1503436265_thumb.png

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

Coleford on the Severn and Wye might be worth considering.  The original S&W goods shed was some distance from the station (and much closer to the town), but after the adjoining GWR station was severed from the rest of the GWR network in WW1 by the closure of the Monmouth - Coleford line, the GWR station became attached to the S&W station.  The S&W goods shed was taken out of use post WW1 and the GWR goods shed used, so post WW1 the goods shed was on a different site to the passenger station (although actually closer as the crow flew).

See these 1912 map views

Keith

There was a branch to mines beyond Coniston. But the general freight facilities were adjacent to the passenger station. I suspect the OP would not have room to model Coniston or he would not have asked the question at all.

I do have a version of Coniston in mind, but rather than what is in effect a through platform, my line for industrial use comes back out parallel to the main line. In the planning stage I thought that I had enough room for a goods shed, but now having second thought location.....

Thanks for all the positive replies so far

Kind regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

BTW, only a few years ago some of the track of Reading Central Goods was still in situ. I don't know if it still is.

Track is long gone - and as it happens I drove over part of it, and through Reading Central yard, only last week.  the only thing which survives is what was once a road over rail bridge at the neck of the yard but it is now a road over dual carriageway road bridge.  As it happens almost all of reading's freight terminal facilities were remote from their associated passenger stations - the GWR goods depot was on a lower level and over 100 yards east of the passenger station, the GWR coal yard was also on a lower level but about 100 yards north of the passenger station with the signal works lying between the two while the Southern goods depot was a similar distance if not more from its passenger station.

At Windsor GWR the goods station was on a lower level than the passenger station although roughly alongside part of it and at various other places the goods depot was at least a few hundred feet from the passenger station buildings.. 

• RMweb Gold

Cardiff General, now Central, never had any goods facilities anywhere near it apart from the 'fish dock on the up side at the Swansea end which was mostly used by NPCCS traffic.  Goods facilties were at Canton sidings a half a mile or so away to the west and Newtown, about twice that distance to the east, the main depot, with a large coal yard on the up side at Pengam.  

From a Furness Station with the goods yard being in a separate place to the passenger facilities.

• Whitehaven (Preston St)
  • Seascale
  • Torver (Coniston Branch)
  • Foxfield
  • Kirkby (Slate Wharf)
  • Barrow (Central Passenger/Strand Goods)
  • Ulverston (Former Termini used as goods station)
  • Greenodd (Lakeside branch, Goods shed south of station main goods area to north of station level with viaduct)
  • Arnside (Goods yard between main station, Hincaster Branch and road to Milnthorpe).

How this of help.

Marc