Bachmann Peak Lighting

Tim Taylor

I was at the SVR and picked up a Bachmann peak for £45 sold as running but no lights. After opening the body I found the circuit board had been ripped out with the previous owner wiring the pickups to the motor. I've since then wired up the motor and pick ups to a 21 pin plug and now I'm turning my attention to the lights. I've got three wires out of each end (brown,orange and black) and I don't know which is the headlight,taillight or common wire. It seems on some of the other Bachmann diesels they follow a similar code so does anyone know which is which?

post-22895-0-44214100-1503590567_thumb.jpg

I was at the SVR and picked up a Bachmann peak for £45 sold as running but no lights. After opening the body I found the circuit board had been ripped out with the previous owner wiring the pickups to the motor. I've since then wired up the motor and pick ups to a 21 pin plug and now I'm turning my attention to the lights. I've got three wires out of each end (brown,orange and black) and I don't know which is the headlight,taillight or common wire. It seems on some of the other Bachmann diesels they follow a similar code so does anyone know which is which?

Assuming ?? they are wired the same as some other Bachmann Classes - looking at you photo the center contact is normally the +positive common, the right hand Orange ? wire the markers and the left black wire the tail lights.  Easy enough to double check by using a PP3 Batt via an in-line 1K resistor on the bodyshell nose end contacts..

Edited by tractor_37260

Used a battery to find out what each wire was. The centre contact was the common with the contact marked 'A' being the headlight and the other being the tail light. I've wired up the lighting as per the diagram for the plug (ESU, 21 pin Adapter Board) with A head and B tail wired to pin 8, A tail and B head to pin 7 and the common to pin 15.

I don't get any lights though!

I used a multimeter to test my wiring and I get a connection between the contacts and the corresponding connections on the plug so I'm thinking I may have missed something.

Used a battery to find out what each wire was. The centre contact was the common with the contact marked 'A' being the headlight and the other being the tail light. I've wired up the lighting as per the diagram for the plug (ESU, 21 pin Adapter Board) with A head and B tail wired to pin 8, A tail and B head to pin 7 and the common to pin 15.

I don't get any lights though!

I used a multimeter to test my wiring and I get a connection between the contacts and the corresponding connections on the plug so I'm thinking I may have missed something.

Hi Tim

As your hard wiring anyway using an ESU 21pin adaptor board, using a Lenz Silver 21pin, you can easily also feature switchable tail lights.

Front headlight/markers (A) connect to Pin 8 via an in-line  resistor 

Rear headlight/markers (B) connect to Pin 7 via an in-line resistor

Both now controlled directionaly via Key F0

For the tail lights

Front tail lights (A) connect to Pin 15 via an in-line resistor

Rear tail lights (B) connect to Pin 14 via an in-line resistor

Connect ALL + positive common wires to Pin 16 

Key F1 should operate the (A) Tail lights

Key F2 should operate the (B) Tail lights

This may not be the case if the decoder settings have already been altered from default values via function mapping.

If so for more help see here:

http://modelbaan.mine.nu/pdf_s/Lenz/LENZ_SILVER_man.pdf

Hope the above is of some help, any questions let me know

Regards

Ken

Edited by tractor_37260